Oct 21, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
Their two teams, Crosby’s Pittsburgh Penguins and MacKinnon’s Colorado Avalanche, were embroiled in a low-scoring affair without much in the way of fireworks.
- This was two points that got away from the Penguins. They outshot the Avalanche 34-14 and went 0-7 on the power play.
- The two hockey sons of Cole Harbour – Crosby and MacKinnon, playing against each other in the NHL for the first time, didn’t quite produce the magic everyone may have been hoping for. Crosby, the Penguins first-overall pick in the 2005 NHL Draft, had zero points in 22:07 of ice time, while the 18-year-old MacKinnon, the Avalanche’s first-overall pick in this year’s draft, had zero points in 10:07 of ice time.
- How about the Avalanche? Make that eight wins in their first nine games of the season.
- Gabriel Landeskog’s goal at 5:26 of the second period stood as the winner. Seconds after getting out of the penalty box, the Avs’ captain found himself in on a two-on-one rush. His off-wing wrist shot beat Marc-Andre Fleury, although it appeared to be deflected.
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 0
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 45
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (60)