Oct 21, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
Their two teams, Crosby’s Pittsburgh Penguins and MacKinnon’s Colorado Avalanche, were embroiled in a low-scoring affair without much in the way of fireworks.
- This was two points that got away from the Penguins. They outshot the Avalanche 34-14 and went 0-7 on the power play.
- The two hockey sons of Cole Harbour – Crosby and MacKinnon, playing against each other in the NHL for the first time, didn’t quite produce the magic everyone may have been hoping for. Crosby, the Penguins first-overall pick in the 2005 NHL Draft, had zero points in 22:07 of ice time, while the 18-year-old MacKinnon, the Avalanche’s first-overall pick in this year’s draft, had zero points in 10:07 of ice time.
- How about the Avalanche? Make that eight wins in their first nine games of the season.
- Gabriel Landeskog’s goal at 5:26 of the second period stood as the winner. Seconds after getting out of the penalty box, the Avs’ captain found himself in on a two-on-one rush. His off-wing wrist shot beat Marc-Andre Fleury, although it appeared to be deflected.
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 3
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 17
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 52
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)