Oct 21, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
Their two teams, Crosby’s Pittsburgh Penguins and MacKinnon’s Colorado Avalanche, were embroiled in a low-scoring affair without much in the way of fireworks.
- This was two points that got away from the Penguins. They outshot the Avalanche 34-14 and went 0-7 on the power play.
- The two hockey sons of Cole Harbour – Crosby and MacKinnon, playing against each other in the NHL for the first time, didn’t quite produce the magic everyone may have been hoping for. Crosby, the Penguins first-overall pick in the 2005 NHL Draft, had zero points in 22:07 of ice time, while the 18-year-old MacKinnon, the Avalanche’s first-overall pick in this year’s draft, had zero points in 10:07 of ice time.
- How about the Avalanche? Make that eight wins in their first nine games of the season.
- Gabriel Landeskog’s goal at 5:26 of the second period stood as the winner. Seconds after getting out of the penalty box, the Avs’ captain found himself in on a two-on-one rush. His off-wing wrist shot beat Marc-Andre Fleury, although it appeared to be deflected.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 23
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 5
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 12
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)