Oct 21, 2013, 3:31 PM EST
The day after allowing six goals and 47 shots against Anaheim, the Dallas Stars made a flurry of transactions to shore things up defensively.
The first, and arguably most important, was activating Kari Lehtonen from injured reserve. The Finnish netminder suffered a lower-body injury on Oct. 11 and has been shelved ever since, leaving starting goalie duties to backup Dan Ellis and prospect Jack Campbell, the latter getting lit up for the aforementioned six goals against the Ducks on Sunday.
The Stars have gone 1-4-0 since Lehtonen got hurt, so his return is a welcome one.
Dallas also recalled veteran defenseman Aaron Rome from AHL Texas on Monday, sending down Campbell to make room on the active roster.
Rome, 30, hasn’t played at all this year due to a hip injury. He did conduct a brief rehab assignment with Texas, recording three shots on goal and six penalty minutes in three games.
Rome appeared in 27 games for Dallas last year, recording five assists while averaging 15:20 TOI per game. He should provide stability and experience on a blueline that’s been scorched recently — Dallas has surrendered 22 goals in its last five games, including 11 over the past two.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 21
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 36
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 33
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 56
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 165
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)