Oct 21, 2013, 3:31 PM EST
The day after allowing six goals and 47 shots against Anaheim, the Dallas Stars made a flurry of transactions to shore things up defensively.
The first, and arguably most important, was activating Kari Lehtonen from injured reserve. The Finnish netminder suffered a lower-body injury on Oct. 11 and has been shelved ever since, leaving starting goalie duties to backup Dan Ellis and prospect Jack Campbell, the latter getting lit up for the aforementioned six goals against the Ducks on Sunday.
The Stars have gone 1-4-0 since Lehtonen got hurt, so his return is a welcome one.
Dallas also recalled veteran defenseman Aaron Rome from AHL Texas on Monday, sending down Campbell to make room on the active roster.
Rome, 30, hasn’t played at all this year due to a hip injury. He did conduct a brief rehab assignment with Texas, recording three shots on goal and six penalty minutes in three games.
Rome appeared in 27 games for Dallas last year, recording five assists while averaging 15:20 TOI per game. He should provide stability and experience on a blueline that’s been scorched recently — Dallas has surrendered 22 goals in its last five games, including 11 over the past two.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 38
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 81
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)