Oct 21, 2013, 3:31 PM EDT
The day after allowing six goals and 47 shots against Anaheim, the Dallas Stars made a flurry of transactions to shore things up defensively.
The first, and arguably most important, was activating Kari Lehtonen from injured reserve. The Finnish netminder suffered a lower-body injury on Oct. 11 and has been shelved ever since, leaving starting goalie duties to backup Dan Ellis and prospect Jack Campbell, the latter getting lit up for the aforementioned six goals against the Ducks on Sunday.
The Stars have gone 1-4-0 since Lehtonen got hurt, so his return is a welcome one.
Dallas also recalled veteran defenseman Aaron Rome from AHL Texas on Monday, sending down Campbell to make room on the active roster.
Rome, 30, hasn’t played at all this year due to a hip injury. He did conduct a brief rehab assignment with Texas, recording three shots on goal and six penalty minutes in three games.
Rome appeared in 27 games for Dallas last year, recording five assists while averaging 15:20 TOI per game. He should provide stability and experience on a blueline that’s been scorched recently — Dallas has surrendered 22 goals in its last five games, including 11 over the past two.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)