Oct 21, 2013, 6:34 PM EDT
McLeod, 29, was given a five-minute boarding major and game misconduct for the hit, which knocked Kronwall out and forced him from the game on a stretcher.
In his explanatory video, NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan notes that the Department of Player Safety took into account Kronwall’s actions just prior to the hit — quickly changing direction “against the grain.”
That said, Kronwall’s sudden movement didn’t absolve McLeod of blame.
“Although Kronwall might’ve put himself in a more vulnerable position, the key to this play is that we’re convinced McLeod has time to avoid or minimize checking Kronwall from behind,” Shanahan explained. “Although Kronwall cuts back, McLeod actually makes an adjustment to his own path and is responsible for the violent collision that results.”
Here’s the video:
Shanahan also notes that, while Kronwall has resumed skating with the Wings, he suffered a serious injury on the play. McLeod had no supplemental discipline history — fines or suspensions — so that did not play a role in the punishment.
McLeod missed Colorado’s win on Saturday over Buffalo and won’t play tonight against Pittsburgh. He’ll proceed to sit out games against Carolina, Winnipeg and Dallas before being eligible to return on Nov. 2 against Montreal.
MacLeod will also forfeit $29,487.20 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 3
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 8
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 25
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)