Oct 21, 2013, 6:34 PM EDT
McLeod, 29, was given a five-minute boarding major and game misconduct for the hit, which knocked Kronwall out and forced him from the game on a stretcher.
In his explanatory video, NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan notes that the Department of Player Safety took into account Kronwall’s actions just prior to the hit — quickly changing direction “against the grain.”
That said, Kronwall’s sudden movement didn’t absolve McLeod of blame.
“Although Kronwall might’ve put himself in a more vulnerable position, the key to this play is that we’re convinced McLeod has time to avoid or minimize checking Kronwall from behind,” Shanahan explained. “Although Kronwall cuts back, McLeod actually makes an adjustment to his own path and is responsible for the violent collision that results.”
Here’s the video:
Shanahan also notes that, while Kronwall has resumed skating with the Wings, he suffered a serious injury on the play. McLeod had no supplemental discipline history — fines or suspensions — so that did not play a role in the punishment.
McLeod missed Colorado’s win on Saturday over Buffalo and won’t play tonight against Pittsburgh. He’ll proceed to sit out games against Carolina, Winnipeg and Dallas before being eligible to return on Nov. 2 against Montreal.
MacLeod will also forfeit $29,487.20 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 29
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)