Oct 20, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
Following a discouraging 4-0 loss to the New Jersey Devils, the New York Rangers made some roster moves on Sunday, with Chris Kreider’s return to the NHL level being the headliner.
Up to the NHL: Kreider, rough forward Brandon Mashinter and goalie Cam Talbot.
Down to the AHL’s Hartford Wolf Pack: Darroll Powe and goalie Jason Missiaen.
The Rangers are eyeing young backups after the demotion of Martin Biron, which inspired the veteran goalie to announce his retirement on Sunday.
Kreider, 22, came into the NHL with a lot of hype in the 2012 playoffs. He didn’t light up the world with seven points in that 18-game run, but two of his five goals were game-winners.
He struggled in 2012-13, only managing three points in 23 regular season games (and nearly matching that with two points in eight 2013 playoff contests).
The 19th pick of the 2009 NHL Draft isn’t likely to work miracles for a maudlin Rangers team, but he can boost an offense that’s reeling with injuries and a lack of confidence.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 11
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 11
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)