Oct 20, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
Following a discouraging 4-0 loss to the New Jersey Devils, the New York Rangers made some roster moves on Sunday, with Chris Kreider’s return to the NHL level being the headliner.
Up to the NHL: Kreider, rough forward Brandon Mashinter and goalie Cam Talbot.
Down to the AHL’s Hartford Wolf Pack: Darroll Powe and goalie Jason Missiaen.
The Rangers are eyeing young backups after the demotion of Martin Biron, which inspired the veteran goalie to announce his retirement on Sunday.
Kreider, 22, came into the NHL with a lot of hype in the 2012 playoffs. He didn’t light up the world with seven points in that 18-game run, but two of his five goals were game-winners.
He struggled in 2012-13, only managing three points in 23 regular season games (and nearly matching that with two points in eight 2013 playoff contests).
The 19th pick of the 2009 NHL Draft isn’t likely to work miracles for a maudlin Rangers team, but he can boost an offense that’s reeling with injuries and a lack of confidence.
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 5
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 20
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 14
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)