Oct 20, 2013, 8:27 PM EDT
After mixing an injury with a few rocky starts, Tim Thomas needed the kind of night he generated against Minnesota on Saturday, as he stopped 30 out of 31 shots to help the Florida Panthers top the Wild 2-1 (SO). Panthers GM Dale Tallon told the Miami Herald that Thomas already had enough with losing – and that attitude makes all the difference.
“He’s not used to this. And let me tell you something, this guy is a winner,” Tallon said. “When we talked to him in the summer, that’s the first thing that jumped out. He wants to win and he battles. He’s a difference maker and he gives our guys some confidence out there. He’s a champion. He’s what we need.”
Really, the 39-year-old showed that competitive edge in his return from a lower-body injury against his former team the Boston Bruins on Thursday, even though he lost. Thomas stopped 37 out of 40 shots but the Panthers fell short 3-2.
It shouldn’t be too shocking to hear that he’s getting his legs under him when you consider the fact that he’s stopped 67 of 71 shots in the last two contests.
“I’m feeling more comfortable there, feeling progressively better,” Thomas said.
The Panthers might just get progressively better with him.
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 13
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 3
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 22
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 96
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)