Oct 20, 2013, 8:27 PM EST
After mixing an injury with a few rocky starts, Tim Thomas needed the kind of night he generated against Minnesota on Saturday, as he stopped 30 out of 31 shots to help the Florida Panthers top the Wild 2-1 (SO). Panthers GM Dale Tallon told the Miami Herald that Thomas already had enough with losing – and that attitude makes all the difference.
“He’s not used to this. And let me tell you something, this guy is a winner,” Tallon said. “When we talked to him in the summer, that’s the first thing that jumped out. He wants to win and he battles. He’s a difference maker and he gives our guys some confidence out there. He’s a champion. He’s what we need.”
Really, the 39-year-old showed that competitive edge in his return from a lower-body injury against his former team the Boston Bruins on Thursday, even though he lost. Thomas stopped 37 out of 40 shots but the Panthers fell short 3-2.
It shouldn’t be too shocking to hear that he’s getting his legs under him when you consider the fact that he’s stopped 67 of 71 shots in the last two contests.
“I’m feeling more comfortable there, feeling progressively better,” Thomas said.
The Panthers might just get progressively better with him.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)