Oct 20, 2013, 12:17 PM EDT
After being demoted by the New York Rangers last week, Martin Biron is retiring from the game.
The New York Rangers announced Biron was hanging it up after 16 seasons in the NHL which saw him playing as a backup goalie for the better part of it.
Biron’s career began with the Buffalo Sabres at the age of 18 after being their first-round pick in 1995. Perhaps his best season as a pro came in 2001-02 with Buffalo when he played in 72 games for the Sabres winning a career-high 31 games and put up career-best 2.22 goals-against average at age 24.
He gained his most fame, however, as a Philadelphia Flyer during the 2007-08 season winning 30 games and having a career-high .918 save percentage while leading the team to the Eastern Conference Final against Pittsburgh before losing in five games.
In 508 career games played, Biron finished with 230 wins and 28 shutouts. His career came to an ignominious end this season after being scorched in relief by the San Jose Sharks including allowing a highlight-reel goal to rookie Tomas Hertl.
Biron tweeted his announcement as well.
As one of the most quotable players in the league, expect to see him on TV with someone in the near future. We’ll also remember him for his ability to hang tough in a goalie fight as well.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)