Oct 20, 2013, 12:17 PM EDT
After being demoted by the New York Rangers last week, Martin Biron is retiring from the game.
The New York Rangers announced Biron was hanging it up after 16 seasons in the NHL which saw him playing as a backup goalie for the better part of it.
Biron’s career began with the Buffalo Sabres at the age of 18 after being their first-round pick in 1995. Perhaps his best season as a pro came in 2001-02 with Buffalo when he played in 72 games for the Sabres winning a career-high 31 games and put up career-best 2.22 goals-against average at age 24.
He gained his most fame, however, as a Philadelphia Flyer during the 2007-08 season winning 30 games and having a career-high .918 save percentage while leading the team to the Eastern Conference Final against Pittsburgh before losing in five games.
In 508 career games played, Biron finished with 230 wins and 28 shutouts. His career came to an ignominious end this season after being scorched in relief by the San Jose Sharks including allowing a highlight-reel goal to rookie Tomas Hertl.
Biron tweeted his announcement as well.
As one of the most quotable players in the league, expect to see him on TV with someone in the near future. We’ll also remember him for his ability to hang tough in a goalie fight as well.
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 4
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 57
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 16
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 40
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 12
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 45
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)