Lecavalier hopeful, Hartnell doubtful for Flyers Thursday

Oct 20, 2013, 10:01 PM EST

lecavalierteamgetty Getty Images

The Philadelphia Flyers have to wait until Thursday for their next chance to get a second win this season. While that might provide a little anxiety, it also gives players time to refresh and heal up. That might be enough time for Vincent Lecavalier to return against the New York Rangers, but Scott Hartnell remains week-to-week, according to CSNPhilly.com.

Lecavalier, 33, is believed to be dealing with a groin injury. He’s been a pretty solid contributor on a Flyers team that is struggling mightily to score.

Hartnell, 31, didn’t feel quite as good as Lecavalier after skating on Sunday.

“Not bad. I have to be a little careful what I can do out there,” Hartnell said. “It’s amazing how fast you can get out of shape. It’s been just over a week for me and I was really sucking wind out there.”

At least the struggling power forward has a sense of humor about it, as the Philadelphia Inquirer’s Sam Carchidi shares.

Apologies to any redheads who might have been offended by Hartnell’s self deprecation.

1. DonkeyStick - Oct 20, 2013 at 10:11 PM

REALLY slow hockey day…Just put out any article about Philadelphia or Pittsburgh and instant comments.

• yougotgirouxed - Oct 21, 2013 at 9:32 AM

You didnt have to comment. Stop complaining

2. rgotoguy - Oct 20, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Slow hockey day indeed… Am i the only one who thinks the schedule has been somewhat unbalanced so far this season? Ten games one day then the next day two games featuring terrible teams.

3. phillyphanatic77 - Oct 20, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Please hockey gods allow us some piece of good news! Vinny was solid before he got hurt and without him our offense has withered even more. His presence evens the lines very well.

Having Hartnell wouldn’t hurt either, despite McGinns production next to G.

• mcphillthy - Oct 20, 2013 at 11:52 PM

I like harts but I wish we had an option to trade him. McGinn is a better fit on that line and harts could bring us a bigger Dman. Just my thoughts. I’m stoned. XD

• broadstreetsbaddest88 - Oct 21, 2013 at 1:21 AM

I was thinkin that last night. I love hartnell and I wanna give him a chance to get it goin cause once he does he can be a great asset but if he doesn’t get goin again then I’d like a trade that would somehow bring vanek over here. I feel like we’ve been missing a pure goal scoring winger and him and Giroux would be great together. I’m not sure what it would take to get him, I’m sure our young pieces since there rebuilding and I’m not for that. I just hope hartnell gets it goin cause I love his style of play and what he brings to this team. Raffl looked good last game. I’d like to see akeson givin a couple games cause I liked what I saw in him.

• gregman98 - Oct 21, 2013 at 6:43 AM

So, phillyphanatic, just when I am going to proven wrong?

phillyphanatic77 – Sep 10, 2013 at 12:44 PM

“This team is much closer to the 11-12 100+ pt team than 12-13 underachievers. And it could be argued that the current version is actually more talented than they were in 11-12. I guarantee this club will not be anywhere close to the bottom of the metro. There’s way too much talent. The Flyers have improved goaltending, their defense, and their forwards. If they don’t finish top 3, I believe they’ll atleast get a wildcard spot. There’s a lot to be optimistic about and Cleary fills out a deep and talented top-9. Keep hating cuz you’ll be proven wrong.”

• macgrubie - Oct 21, 2013 at 11:21 AM

probably not in the first 3 weeks of play…

• phillyphanatic77 - Oct 21, 2013 at 11:36 AM

When the puck starts going in the net… the Flyers have been horrible but you need a little luck here and there. Not to mention there’s about 75 games left to play. Mason has been great, the D has been average to good depending on the night, it’s just the offense letting them down. If it comes around they have have the talent to be a playoff team. Every single forward needs to step up and Lecavalier needs to come back. Wait more than 8 games before gloating.

4. killerpgh - Oct 20, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Hartnell is a funny guy. Did anyone else happen to catch the photo of him in the hospital sporting the “fall risk” wrist band? If he wasn’t a Flyers I would probably like him. Power forwards always seem to be my favorite players. Kevin Stevens was my favorite player growing up.

5. mcphillthy - Oct 21, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Is anyone else really impressed by Raffl?! I know he didn’t score a goal but man he was everywhere the other night. If he keeps playing like that I am already a big fan of him. I saw that nugget of hope among the crap on ice.

• kastout11 - Oct 22, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Except for that little mistake at the blueline that led to the goal, he was solid. I hope they can keep him in the lineup to see what he has. I would scratch Rinaldo, Rosehill and Mezaros and give Gustaffson, Newberry and Raffl a shot.

6. mclovinhockey - Oct 21, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Maybe our new coach will be smart and put Hartnell with read and coots who made a great line in camp. Our 2nd line is the only good line right now. Keep Mcginn on line 1 since that was working and maybe we can turn the team around.

7. pitpenguinsrulez - Oct 21, 2013 at 9:18 AM

@gregman98 LOL

8. kastout11 - Oct 22, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Vinny can still produce, and the Flyers really need him back. Hopefully, Hartnell will be back by the middle or end of next week. Then, I really expect them to take off. Giroux triggers everything though, I am hopeful that his hand continues to heal and he should start producing Thursday against the Rangers. I cannot stomach losing to the Penguins then the Rangers back-to-back. It has been tough sledding for a fan of all 4 Philly sports teams. I need the Flyers to win, because I cannot count on the other 3.

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches