Oct 20, 2013, 2:18 AM EST
The Los Angeles Kings are on fire, and they have their veteran core to thank.
Paced by a combined six points from Anze Kopitar and Justin Williams, the Kings knocked off Dallas 5-2 at the Staples Center on Saturday night, earning their fifth win in their last six games while moving three points back of San Jose for tops in the Pacific Division.
L.A. did the business despite falling behind 1-0 in the first period on Tyler Seguin‘s fourth goal of the season. The Kings responded to Seguin’s tally with two goals from Williams — scored in a five-minute span at the end of the frame — and seized control in the third on goals from Drew Doughty, Kyle Clifford and Matt Greene.
While Williams and Kopitar paved the way with three points each, they were hardly L.A.’s lone offensive weapons on the night.
The Kings got multi-point efforts from Doughty, Greene and Jake Muzzin to successfully open a four-game homestand at Staples, and are now looking like one of the NHL’s hottest clubs.
L.A. has lost just once since suffering back-to-back defeats to Winnipeg and the New York Rangers at the beginning of the year. Those losses were followed by wins against Ottawa, Carolina and Florida — then a 5-1 defeat in Tampa Bay.
The Kings rebounded sharply since that loss to the Lightning, though, beating Nashville 2-1 in a shootout on Thursday then knocking off the Stars on Saturday.
Dec 7, 2013, 7:48 PM EST
Dec 7, 2013, 7:25 PM EST
Will not return.
Dec 7, 2013, 7:01 PM EST
Pair of forwards going to San Jose.
Dec 7, 2013, 6:31 PM EST
Dallas unsuccessful on that power play.
Dec 7, 2013, 5:55 PM EST
He finished the game with four points.
Dec 7, 2013, 5:28 PM EST
Good news for Nashville.
Dec 7, 2013, 4:48 PM EST
After 20 seasons, this could be it.
Dec 7, 2013, 3:34 PM EST
He had three head or neck injuries last season.
Dec 7, 2013, 3:02 PM EST
He’s battled injuries the past two seasons.
Dec 7, 2013, 2:02 PM EST
He was their fourth-round pick in 2009.
Dec 7, 2013, 1:08 PM EST
He was the Panthers’ all-time leader in assists.
Dec 7, 2013, 12:13 PM EST
Losing blue liners is not optimal.
Dec 7, 2013, 10:54 AM EST
It’s getting grumpy in Winnipeg.
Dec 7, 2013, 10:02 AM EST
That’s a big sigh of relief for Boston.
Dec 7, 2013, 9:15 AM EST
It’s all about the chances.
Dec 7, 2013, 12:15 AM EST
Jean-Sebastien Giguere remains undefeated.
Dec 6, 2013, 11:59 PM EST
Watch the video to decide for yourself.
Dec 6, 2013, 11:10 PM EST
Blackhawks have now lost three in a row.
Dec 6, 2013, 10:36 PM EST
Tough two days for San Jose.
Dec 6, 2013, 10:15 PM EST
Next summer, they’ll be talking about shrinking goalie sweaters.
- Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 32
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)