Oct 20, 2013, 2:18 AM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings are on fire, and they have their veteran core to thank.
Paced by a combined six points from Anze Kopitar and Justin Williams, the Kings knocked off Dallas 5-2 at the Staples Center on Saturday night, earning their fifth win in their last six games while moving three points back of San Jose for tops in the Pacific Division.
L.A. did the business despite falling behind 1-0 in the first period on Tyler Seguin‘s fourth goal of the season. The Kings responded to Seguin’s tally with two goals from Williams — scored in a five-minute span at the end of the frame — and seized control in the third on goals from Drew Doughty, Kyle Clifford and Matt Greene.
While Williams and Kopitar paved the way with three points each, they were hardly L.A.’s lone offensive weapons on the night.
The Kings got multi-point efforts from Doughty, Greene and Jake Muzzin to successfully open a four-game homestand at Staples, and are now looking like one of the NHL’s hottest clubs.
L.A. has lost just once since suffering back-to-back defeats to Winnipeg and the New York Rangers at the beginning of the year. Those losses were followed by wins against Ottawa, Carolina and Florida — then a 5-1 defeat in Tampa Bay.
The Kings rebounded sharply since that loss to the Lightning, though, beating Nashville 2-1 in a shootout on Thursday then knocking off the Stars on Saturday.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)