Oct 20, 2013, 2:18 AM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings are on fire, and they have their veteran core to thank.
Paced by a combined six points from Anze Kopitar and Justin Williams, the Kings knocked off Dallas 5-2 at the Staples Center on Saturday night, earning their fifth win in their last six games while moving three points back of San Jose for tops in the Pacific Division.
L.A. did the business despite falling behind 1-0 in the first period on Tyler Seguin‘s fourth goal of the season. The Kings responded to Seguin’s tally with two goals from Williams — scored in a five-minute span at the end of the frame — and seized control in the third on goals from Drew Doughty, Kyle Clifford and Matt Greene.
While Williams and Kopitar paved the way with three points each, they were hardly L.A.’s lone offensive weapons on the night.
The Kings got multi-point efforts from Doughty, Greene and Jake Muzzin to successfully open a four-game homestand at Staples, and are now looking like one of the NHL’s hottest clubs.
L.A. has lost just once since suffering back-to-back defeats to Winnipeg and the New York Rangers at the beginning of the year. Those losses were followed by wins against Ottawa, Carolina and Florida — then a 5-1 defeat in Tampa Bay.
The Kings rebounded sharply since that loss to the Lightning, though, beating Nashville 2-1 in a shootout on Thursday then knocking off the Stars on Saturday.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)