Oct 20, 2013, 2:18 AM EST
The Los Angeles Kings are on fire, and they have their veteran core to thank.
Paced by a combined six points from Anze Kopitar and Justin Williams, the Kings knocked off Dallas 5-2 at the Staples Center on Saturday night, earning their fifth win in their last six games while moving three points back of San Jose for tops in the Pacific Division.
L.A. did the business despite falling behind 1-0 in the first period on Tyler Seguin‘s fourth goal of the season. The Kings responded to Seguin’s tally with two goals from Williams — scored in a five-minute span at the end of the frame — and seized control in the third on goals from Drew Doughty, Kyle Clifford and Matt Greene.
While Williams and Kopitar paved the way with three points each, they were hardly L.A.’s lone offensive weapons on the night.
The Kings got multi-point efforts from Doughty, Greene and Jake Muzzin to successfully open a four-game homestand at Staples, and are now looking like one of the NHL’s hottest clubs.
L.A. has lost just once since suffering back-to-back defeats to Winnipeg and the New York Rangers at the beginning of the year. Those losses were followed by wins against Ottawa, Carolina and Florida — then a 5-1 defeat in Tampa Bay.
The Kings rebounded sharply since that loss to the Lightning, though, beating Nashville 2-1 in a shootout on Thursday then knocking off the Stars on Saturday.
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 57
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 35
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 12