Oct 19, 2013, 10:32 PM EDT
On Saturday night, Jones made it awfully difficult.
Nashville’s rookie defenseman turned in a tremendous performance in a 2-1 win over Montreal, finishing second among all skaters with 27:29 TOI while notching the game-winning tally — the first GWG of his career — with just 1:27 remaining in the contest:
Playing alongside Shea Weber — who had an outstanding night himself, playing over 28 minutes while notching two assists — Jones continued to display maturity and poise beyond his years.
The 19-year-old, who fell to Nashville at No. 4 overall at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, is playing elite-defenseman minutes and doing it with aplomb, as he now has four points through his first eight games with a plus-1 rating.
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 5
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 5
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 13
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)