Oct 19, 2013, 11:51 PM EDT
Coyotes netminder Mike Smith put his name in the record books on Saturday, scoring the fifth and final goal in a 5-2 win over Detroit.
“I knew there was not a lot of time left,” Smith said following the contest, as per the L.A. Times. “I didn’t think it had the legs to get there. But just adds to the win.”
The goal capped off a stellar evening for Smith, who stopped 31 of 33 shots to help Phoenix move to 5-2-2 on the year.
There have only been four goalies that’ve scored goals since the lost season of 2004-05: Smith, Brodeur, Ward and Nashville’s Chris Mason.
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 16
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 38
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 33
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21