Oct 19, 2013, 11:51 PM EST
Coyotes netminder Mike Smith put his name in the record books on Saturday, scoring the fifth and final goal in a 5-2 win over Detroit.
“I knew there was not a lot of time left,” Smith said following the contest, as per the L.A. Times. “I didn’t think it had the legs to get there. But just adds to the win.”
The goal capped off a stellar evening for Smith, who stopped 31 of 33 shots to help Phoenix move to 5-2-2 on the year.
There have only been four goalies that’ve scored goals since the lost season of 2004-05: Smith, Brodeur, Ward and Nashville’s Chris Mason.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 21
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)