Oct 19, 2013, 11:51 PM EDT
Coyotes netminder Mike Smith put his name in the record books on Saturday, scoring the fifth and final goal in a 5-2 win over Detroit.
“I knew there was not a lot of time left,” Smith said following the contest, as per the L.A. Times. “I didn’t think it had the legs to get there. But just adds to the win.”
The goal capped off a stellar evening for Smith, who stopped 31 of 33 shots to help Phoenix move to 5-2-2 on the year.
There have only been four goalies that’ve scored goals since the lost season of 2004-05: Smith, Brodeur, Ward and Nashville’s Chris Mason.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 6
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 28
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 3
- Report: Chiarelli to join Oilers’ front office 31
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)