Oct 19, 2013, 11:51 PM EDT
Coyotes netminder Mike Smith put his name in the record books on Saturday, scoring the fifth and final goal in a 5-2 win over Detroit.
“I knew there was not a lot of time left,” Smith said following the contest, as per the L.A. Times. “I didn’t think it had the legs to get there. But just adds to the win.”
The goal capped off a stellar evening for Smith, who stopped 31 of 33 shots to help Phoenix move to 5-2-2 on the year.
There have only been four goalies that’ve scored goals since the lost season of 2004-05: Smith, Brodeur, Ward and Nashville’s Chris Mason.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 8
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 29
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)