Oct 19, 2013, 11:51 PM EDT
Coyotes netminder Mike Smith put his name in the record books on Saturday, scoring the fifth and final goal in a 5-2 win over Detroit.
“I knew there was not a lot of time left,” Smith said following the contest, as per the L.A. Times. “I didn’t think it had the legs to get there. But just adds to the win.”
The goal capped off a stellar evening for Smith, who stopped 31 of 33 shots to help Phoenix move to 5-2-2 on the year.
There have only been four goalies that’ve scored goals since the lost season of 2004-05: Smith, Brodeur, Ward and Nashville’s Chris Mason.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)