Oct 19, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs will start Jonathan Bernier while James van Riemsdyk (“skater’s back”) returns to action against the Chicago Blackhawks Saturday, according to various sources including TSN’s Mark Masters and the Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle.
Both Bernier and JVR have been about as good as Toronto could ask for so far in 2013-14.
Bernier, 25, is 4-2-0 with a .940 save percentage and 1.98 GAA. JVR, 24, has really been clicking with Phil Kessel, scoring five goals and one assist for six points in six games.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 8
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 8
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 25
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 40
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)