Oct 19, 2013, 11:38 AM EST
There’s still a lot of season left to go, but it’s starting to look like the Penguins might even want to keep him beyond this campaign. His two-year, $4.6 million contract is set to expire this summer, but the 26-year-old defenseman is very interested in staying in Pittsburgh, to the point where he might take less money to do so.
“It obviously depends on a lot of things,” Niskanen said, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “But I will say that I put a big emphasis on winning. And this is a good place to be for that.”
Niskanen added, “I think there is a lot to be said for staying put in a place that you like and in a place that likes you.”
If he keeps playing anywhere near his current level, the Penguins will likely have at least some interest in retaining him. However, they would have to squeeze him into what’s likely to be a tight budget. The Penguins already have roughly $54.5 million in cap space committed to 13 players next season, according to Cap Geek.
In other words, how much Niskanen is willing to bend to stay in Pittsburgh is likely to dictate whether or not he stays.
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 2
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 1
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)