Oct 19, 2013, 9:56 AM EDT
The Ottawa Senators will start goaltender Robin Lehner against the Edmonton Oilers today. Why? Because even with the Senators schedule fairly spread out, netminder Craig Anderson could use a breather after the barrage of shots he’s faced lately.
Ottawa has allowed an average of 42 shots per game this season. Not only is that the worst in the league, but there isn’t even another team that comes close to that mark. It’s almost double what the Minnesota Wild allow on a typical night.
Although the Senators have still won their last two games and are a respectable 3-2-2 this season, Senators coach Paul MacLean decided to make this issue a focus during Friday’s practice. As MacLean pointed out, a big factor is the fact that Ottawa also ranks near the bottom of the league in minor penalties taken with 40.
“The number of penalties we take certainly leads to us playing in our end too much and them getting shots at our net, and that’s never a good recipe, and there’s no chance of success if that continues to happen,” MacLean told the Ottawa Citizen.
That’s after MacLean classified most of their penalties on Thursday as “lazy.”
The expectation is that the Senators players will “get it sorted out,” and they’ll have a chance to do just that against the Oilers.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)