Oct 19, 2013, 9:56 AM EDT
The Ottawa Senators will start goaltender Robin Lehner against the Edmonton Oilers today. Why? Because even with the Senators schedule fairly spread out, netminder Craig Anderson could use a breather after the barrage of shots he’s faced lately.
Ottawa has allowed an average of 42 shots per game this season. Not only is that the worst in the league, but there isn’t even another team that comes close to that mark. It’s almost double what the Minnesota Wild allow on a typical night.
Although the Senators have still won their last two games and are a respectable 3-2-2 this season, Senators coach Paul MacLean decided to make this issue a focus during Friday’s practice. As MacLean pointed out, a big factor is the fact that Ottawa also ranks near the bottom of the league in minor penalties taken with 40.
“The number of penalties we take certainly leads to us playing in our end too much and them getting shots at our net, and that’s never a good recipe, and there’s no chance of success if that continues to happen,” MacLean told the Ottawa Citizen.
That’s after MacLean classified most of their penalties on Thursday as “lazy.”
The expectation is that the Senators players will “get it sorted out,” and they’ll have a chance to do just that against the Oilers.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)