Oct 19, 2013, 8:12 PM EDT
The New York Islanders announced that defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky‘s Saturday is over after he suffered a concussion in the first period against the Carolina Hurricanes.
The 37-year-old’s experience and offensive acumen partially explained why the Isles allowed blueliner Mark Streit to leave for free agency this summer, so it should go without saying that losing “Lubo” would hurt badly.
Injuries have been a regular problem for the speedy veteran, but concussions haven’t been the issue very often; he missed six games in 2003-04 with a concussion, but that’s all that can be found in the Hockey News’ history of his issues.
It’s unclear if the play that injured Visnovsky involved a hit that the league should look at.
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 19
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 44
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 82
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 26
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (82)