Oct 19, 2013, 8:12 PM EST
The New York Islanders announced that defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky‘s Saturday is over after he suffered a concussion in the first period against the Carolina Hurricanes.
The 37-year-old’s experience and offensive acumen partially explained why the Isles allowed blueliner Mark Streit to leave for free agency this summer, so it should go without saying that losing “Lubo” would hurt badly.
Injuries have been a regular problem for the speedy veteran, but concussions haven’t been the issue very often; he missed six games in 2003-04 with a concussion, but that’s all that can be found in the Hockey News’ history of his issues.
It’s unclear if the play that injured Visnovsky involved a hit that the league should look at.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)