Oct 19, 2013, 8:12 PM EDT
The New York Islanders announced that defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky‘s Saturday is over after he suffered a concussion in the first period against the Carolina Hurricanes.
The 37-year-old’s experience and offensive acumen partially explained why the Isles allowed blueliner Mark Streit to leave for free agency this summer, so it should go without saying that losing “Lubo” would hurt badly.
Injuries have been a regular problem for the speedy veteran, but concussions haven’t been the issue very often; he missed six games in 2003-04 with a concussion, but that’s all that can be found in the Hockey News’ history of his issues.
It’s unclear if the play that injured Visnovsky involved a hit that the league should look at.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 6
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 22
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 90
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 81
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 0
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 17
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (90)
- Stoll charged with cocaine possession, but not MDMA possession (82)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (81)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)