Oct 19, 2013, 4:11 PM EST
Fleury stopped 34 out of 37 shots to remain undefeated, as the Penguins only loss came when he was getting a breather.
It was really a game about Pittsburgh’s big stars, as Sidney Crosby continues his ridiculous start to 2013-14; he collected a goal and two assists to push his NHL-leading points total to 17. As of this writing, he leads everyone else by at least six points.
Evgeni Malkin made a big contribution, too, as he collected an assist and the shootout-winner. The Penguins have now won 11 straight shootouts at home.
The Canucks carried much of the play, firing 39 shots on goal compared to Pittsburgh’s 28, but they couldn’t beat Fleury enough to take the win. Like seemingly everyone else (aside from the Boston Bruins in the 2013 Eastern Conference Final), they also couldn’t stop Crosby.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)