Oct 19, 2013, 4:58 PM EST
It’s easy to blame Devan Dubnyk for the Edmonton Oilers’ problems, especially after a tough start. He showed signs of working things out in a tough loss to the New York Islanders on Thursday and finally got his first win of 2013-14 as Edmonton beat the Ottawa Senators 3-1 Saturday.
The Senators made the big goalie work for it, as the 27-year-old stopped 35 out of 36 shots to end the Oilers’ losing streak at three games and his personal one at five.
Dubnyk has quietly put up nice individual numbers despite his team’s struggles the past three seasons, with 2013′s .920 save percentage being especially impressive. Getting some more support – both on defense and in scoring – might help the team stats come with it.
“It’s really easy to start doubting yourself, but I know I can do the job,” Dubnyk said on Saturday. “I just have to go out there and be myself.”
Speaking of which, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (two goals, one assist) and Jordan Eberle (goal and an assist) had strong afternoons. Nail Yakupov didn’t get a ton of ice time (13:05), but he got an assist when his dangerous shot lead to Eberle’s rebound goal.
This marks the Oilers’ second win of 2013-14, as they’re now 2-6-1. Ottawa falls to 3-3-2.
Mar 7, 2014, 10:02 PM EST
Remember that blockbuster trade the other day?
Mar 7, 2014, 9:27 PM EST
Just keeps on going.
Mar 7, 2014, 9:04 PM EST
Happened 10 years ago Saturday.
Mar 7, 2014, 8:26 PM EST
Ottawa in a battle to make the playoffs.
Mar 7, 2014, 7:22 PM EST
He’s one of the top scorers for AHL Utica.
Mar 7, 2014, 6:35 PM EST
And the Stanley Cup, obviously.
Mar 7, 2014, 5:48 PM EST
He was New York’s leading scorer at the time of injury.
Mar 7, 2014, 4:51 PM EST
Click for the video of the NHL’s explanation.
Mar 7, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
Plus five NHL games to watch this weekend.
Mar 7, 2014, 2:49 PM EST
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Mar 7, 2014, 2:35 PM EST
Failed to “turn on the charm,” apparently.
Mar 7, 2014, 1:24 PM EST
More praise for them on Thursday after previously calling them the best team in the NHL.
Mar 7, 2014, 12:58 PM EST
“I thought he was real good.”
Mar 7, 2014, 12:50 PM EST
Hosting the Isles at the Saddledome.
Mar 7, 2014, 12:07 PM EST
Click to see which teams could be most impacted.
Mar 7, 2014, 11:47 AM EST
In related news, Philly leads the NHL in penalty minutes.
Mar 7, 2014, 11:33 AM EST
But Jeff Vinik couldn’t sway him.
Mar 7, 2014, 11:30 AM EST
It’s not looking good in DC.
Mar 7, 2014, 11:17 AM EST
Matt Moulson set to make his Minnesota debut.
Mar 7, 2014, 9:45 AM EST
It’s been a rough few days for Mike Gillis.
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 12
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 19
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 27
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 10
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 35
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)