Oct 19, 2013, 4:58 PM EST
It’s easy to blame Devan Dubnyk for the Edmonton Oilers’ problems, especially after a tough start. He showed signs of working things out in a tough loss to the New York Islanders on Thursday and finally got his first win of 2013-14 as Edmonton beat the Ottawa Senators 3-1 Saturday.
The Senators made the big goalie work for it, as the 27-year-old stopped 35 out of 36 shots to end the Oilers’ losing streak at three games and his personal one at five.
Dubnyk has quietly put up nice individual numbers despite his team’s struggles the past three seasons, with 2013’s .920 save percentage being especially impressive. Getting some more support – both on defense and in scoring – might help the team stats come with it.
“It’s really easy to start doubting yourself, but I know I can do the job,” Dubnyk said on Saturday. “I just have to go out there and be myself.”
Speaking of which, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (two goals, one assist) and Jordan Eberle (goal and an assist) had strong afternoons. Nail Yakupov didn’t get a ton of ice time (13:05), but he got an assist when his dangerous shot lead to Eberle’s rebound goal.
This marks the Oilers’ second win of 2013-14, as they’re now 2-6-1. Ottawa falls to 3-3-2.
Nov 26, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
Yappy Lappy was at it again.
Nov 26, 2014, 4:06 PM EST
“Anybody can GM, anybody can be a president… whether you’re going to be good at it or not, who knows.”
Nov 26, 2014, 3:54 PM EST
San Jose coach is feeling the heat.
Nov 26, 2014, 3:20 PM EST
Click for video of the incident.
Nov 26, 2014, 2:57 PM EST
Minny dominated L.A. early in the season, but lost 2-1.
Nov 26, 2014, 2:45 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 26, 2014, 2:27 PM EST
Originally out 4-6 weeks, he’s back in just over three.
Nov 26, 2014, 2:04 PM EST
But how much public money will be required?
Nov 26, 2014, 1:03 PM EST
The Blues are one of the few teams in the NHL with a surplus of quality centers.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:57 PM EST
Jordan Binnington on his way up to St. Louis.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:22 PM EST
What are the chances the Islanders, Leafs, Predators, Canucks, Flames and Jets can hang on?
Nov 26, 2014, 12:11 PM EST
Fall from grace for the former 30-goal scorer.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:42 AM EST
Out “a couple of weeks” with a lower-body injury.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:28 AM EST
Arizona forward forced the Avs d-man from the game.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
Dallas forward does have a history with the NHL’s player safety department.
Nov 26, 2014, 10:58 AM EST
To cheer, or boo? That’s the query.
Nov 26, 2014, 10:50 AM EST
Two teams headed down different paths?
Nov 26, 2014, 10:03 AM EST
He missed the last three games with an upper-body injury.
Nov 26, 2014, 9:16 AM EST
It’s a question that could decide a playoff spot or two.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:51 AM EST
Tough start to the season for the veteran defenseman.
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 5
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 2
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 10
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 8
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 10
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 10
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)