Oct 19, 2013, 4:58 PM EDT
It’s easy to blame Devan Dubnyk for the Edmonton Oilers’ problems, especially after a tough start. He showed signs of working things out in a tough loss to the New York Islanders on Thursday and finally got his first win of 2013-14 as Edmonton beat the Ottawa Senators 3-1 Saturday.
The Senators made the big goalie work for it, as the 27-year-old stopped 35 out of 36 shots to end the Oilers’ losing streak at three games and his personal one at five.
Dubnyk has quietly put up nice individual numbers despite his team’s struggles the past three seasons, with 2013′s .920 save percentage being especially impressive. Getting some more support – both on defense and in scoring – might help the team stats come with it.
“It’s really easy to start doubting yourself, but I know I can do the job,” Dubnyk said on Saturday. “I just have to go out there and be myself.”
Speaking of which, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (two goals, one assist) and Jordan Eberle (goal and an assist) had strong afternoons. Nail Yakupov didn’t get a ton of ice time (13:05), but he got an assist when his dangerous shot lead to Eberle’s rebound goal.
This marks the Oilers’ second win of 2013-14, as they’re now 2-6-1. Ottawa falls to 3-3-2.
Apr 16, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT
“We aren’t here just to go to school. We’re here to win.”
Apr 16, 2014, 10:41 PM EDT
After all that star power in regulation …
Apr 16, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
Pittsburgh scores three unanswered goals to win.
Apr 16, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
The West’s No. 1 seed takes on the final wild card qualifier.
Apr 16, 2014, 9:22 PM EDT
Did the Penguins deserve a power play or penalty shot?
Apr 16, 2014, 8:50 PM EDT
Get used to these stories of toughness.
Apr 16, 2014, 8:11 PM EDT
Updated with bonus goals for your enjoyment.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
Tomas Plekanec spoils Tampa Bay’s lead.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:24 PM EDT
In case there was any doubt.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
Unproven goalie vs. a gold-medal goalie in Game 1.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
A battle between a scrappy underdog and a perplexing favorite.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
A little less grit against the Anaheim Ducks.
Apr 16, 2014, 5:16 PM EDT
Not Brandon Pirri.
Apr 16, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
“He gives us the best chance to win, so he’ll be the one starting.”
Apr 16, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
But both acknowledge they’ve heard the rumblings.
Apr 16, 2014, 3:05 PM EDT
22-26-7 with a .901 save percentage.
Apr 16, 2014, 2:17 PM EDT
Sacco, Forton, Numminen and Corsi are out.
Apr 16, 2014, 2:05 PM EDT
Top seeds don’t have it easy in the first round.
Apr 16, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
Spent one season with the Oilers, now off to SKA St. Petersburg.
Apr 16, 2014, 12:53 PM EDT
He’ll dress for the series opener against Tampa Bay tonight.
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 1
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 14
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 78
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 35
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (78)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)