Oct 19, 2013, 1:24 AM EST
The Coyotes grabbed a 2-1 lead just before the midway point of the third period, but surrendered a goal to Nick Bonino with just over two minutes remaining in regulation, and then couldn’t outlast the Ducks in the deciding six-round breakaway competition.
“You ever heard of the saying ‘scared to lose?’ Well, we were scared to win,” Smith, who stopped 37 of 39 shots combined in regulation and overtime, told reporters after the game.
“That’s not how you finish off hockey games. Yeah, were solid up to that point but we went out in the third period, I think we had six shots and we just let them come, and come, and come and when you give that team chances we gave them, sooner or later it’s going to get in the back of your net.”
(The audio was posted online by Todd Walsh of Fox Sports Arizona)
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 7
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 2
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 10
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 8
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 26
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4