Oct 19, 2013, 1:24 AM EDT
The Coyotes grabbed a 2-1 lead just before the midway point of the third period, but surrendered a goal to Nick Bonino with just over two minutes remaining in regulation, and then couldn’t outlast the Ducks in the deciding six-round breakaway competition.
“You ever heard of the saying ‘scared to lose?’ Well, we were scared to win,” Smith, who stopped 37 of 39 shots combined in regulation and overtime, told reporters after the game.
“That’s not how you finish off hockey games. Yeah, were solid up to that point but we went out in the third period, I think we had six shots and we just let them come, and come, and come and when you give that team chances we gave them, sooner or later it’s going to get in the back of your net.”
(The audio was posted online by Todd Walsh of Fox Sports Arizona)
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Philadelphia Flyers at New York Rangers (Game 1) 0
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 24
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 36
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 112
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 63