Oct 19, 2013, 1:24 AM EDT
The Coyotes grabbed a 2-1 lead just before the midway point of the third period, but surrendered a goal to Nick Bonino with just over two minutes remaining in regulation, and then couldn’t outlast the Ducks in the deciding six-round breakaway competition.
“You ever heard of the saying ‘scared to lose?’ Well, we were scared to win,” Smith, who stopped 37 of 39 shots combined in regulation and overtime, told reporters after the game.
“That’s not how you finish off hockey games. Yeah, were solid up to that point but we went out in the third period, I think we had six shots and we just let them come, and come, and come and when you give that team chances we gave them, sooner or later it’s going to get in the back of your net.”
(The audio was posted online by Todd Walsh of Fox Sports Arizona)
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 78
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50