Oct 19, 2013, 1:24 AM EST
The Coyotes grabbed a 2-1 lead just before the midway point of the third period, but surrendered a goal to Nick Bonino with just over two minutes remaining in regulation, and then couldn’t outlast the Ducks in the deciding six-round breakaway competition.
“You ever heard of the saying ‘scared to lose?’ Well, we were scared to win,” Smith, who stopped 37 of 39 shots combined in regulation and overtime, told reporters after the game.
“That’s not how you finish off hockey games. Yeah, were solid up to that point but we went out in the third period, I think we had six shots and we just let them come, and come, and come and when you give that team chances we gave them, sooner or later it’s going to get in the back of your net.”
(The audio was posted online by Todd Walsh of Fox Sports Arizona)
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 3
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 73
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2