Oct 19, 2013, 1:24 AM EDT
The Coyotes grabbed a 2-1 lead just before the midway point of the third period, but surrendered a goal to Nick Bonino with just over two minutes remaining in regulation, and then couldn’t outlast the Ducks in the deciding six-round breakaway competition.
“You ever heard of the saying ‘scared to lose?’ Well, we were scared to win,” Smith, who stopped 37 of 39 shots combined in regulation and overtime, told reporters after the game.
“That’s not how you finish off hockey games. Yeah, were solid up to that point but we went out in the third period, I think we had six shots and we just let them come, and come, and come and when you give that team chances we gave them, sooner or later it’s going to get in the back of your net.”
(The audio was posted online by Todd Walsh of Fox Sports Arizona)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 0
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 13
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 31
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 44
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 50
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 33
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 28
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 53
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10