Oct 19, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Dave Bolland is the type of player that can get under opponents skin. He chips at both ends of the rink and until this summer, he was part of a Chicago Blackhawks squad that won the Stanley Cup twice in just four seasons.
After Bolland netted the 2013 Stanley Cup-winning goal, the cap constrained Blackhawks dealt him to the Toronto Maple Leafs. He’s gotten off to a good start with his new team and tonight he’ll get to show his former squad what it’s like to be at the other end in his return to Chicago.
Not that any form of revenge seems to be something he’s looking for. After all the success Bolland had with the Blackhawks, he’s not entering this game with hard feelings. He still thinks very highly of the city and is close with many of the core Chicago players he spent years playing alongside.
“I still text with some of the guys and stay in touch,” Bolland told the Toronto Sun. “(Jonathan) Toews and Kane and (Duncan) Keith, guys like that.
“When you are on a winning team and you are together for that long, going through two Stanley Cups, I don’t think any of us will ever break apart from one another. You win as a team and you are always along on that same path.”
Toews largely echoed Bolland’s comments. The former teammates will both work hard to exit the game with two points as they each fight to add to their successful careers, but that doesn’t have to diminish their previous accomplishments together.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)