Oct 18, 2013, 1:18 PM EDT
Tom Wilson hasn’t played much this year, but has apparently shown the Capitals enough to stick.
That’s the word out of Washington on Friday as the Caps told Wilson, their first-round pick (16th overall) at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, that he’ll be with the big club for the remainder of the year.
Wilson, 19, was eligible to return to OHL Plymouth. He’s spent the last three years with the Whalers and had a solid 2012-13 campaign, scoring 23 goals and 58 points in 48 games.
The 6-foot-4, 205-pound Wilson made his Caps debut in last year’s playoffs, appearing in three games, then made the team out of training camp this season after a solid exhibition campaign.
While his minutes have been limited (he’s played all seven games but is only averaging 6:42 TOI per), the Caps have been impressed by his toughness. Wilson’s biggest impact this season has been with his fists, as he leads Washington with two fights — he’s actually the only Cap to have fought this season.
“Anybody who has played hockey will tell you, it is not an easy thing to do,” Caps defenseman Steve Oleksy told the Washington Times. “He’s been great for us. It is huge for the locker room, huge for the energy in the building.”
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)