Oct 18, 2013, 1:18 PM EDT
Tom Wilson hasn’t played much this year, but has apparently shown the Capitals enough to stick.
That’s the word out of Washington on Friday as the Caps told Wilson, their first-round pick (16th overall) at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, that he’ll be with the big club for the remainder of the year.
Wilson, 19, was eligible to return to OHL Plymouth. He’s spent the last three years with the Whalers and had a solid 2012-13 campaign, scoring 23 goals and 58 points in 48 games.
The 6-foot-4, 205-pound Wilson made his Caps debut in last year’s playoffs, appearing in three games, then made the team out of training camp this season after a solid exhibition campaign.
While his minutes have been limited (he’s played all seven games but is only averaging 6:42 TOI per), the Caps have been impressed by his toughness. Wilson’s biggest impact this season has been with his fists, as he leads Washington with two fights — he’s actually the only Cap to have fought this season.
“Anybody who has played hockey will tell you, it is not an easy thing to do,” Caps defenseman Steve Oleksy told the Washington Times. “He’s been great for us. It is huge for the locker room, huge for the energy in the building.”
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 8
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 3
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 9
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)