Oct 18, 2013, 1:18 PM EST
Tom Wilson hasn’t played much this year, but has apparently shown the Capitals enough to stick.
That’s the word out of Washington on Friday as the Caps told Wilson, their first-round pick (16th overall) at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, that he’ll be with the big club for the remainder of the year.
Wilson, 19, was eligible to return to OHL Plymouth. He’s spent the last three years with the Whalers and had a solid 2012-13 campaign, scoring 23 goals and 58 points in 48 games.
The 6-foot-4, 205-pound Wilson made his Caps debut in last year’s playoffs, appearing in three games, then made the team out of training camp this season after a solid exhibition campaign.
While his minutes have been limited (he’s played all seven games but is only averaging 6:42 TOI per), the Caps have been impressed by his toughness. Wilson’s biggest impact this season has been with his fists, as he leads Washington with two fights — he’s actually the only Cap to have fought this season.
“Anybody who has played hockey will tell you, it is not an easy thing to do,” Caps defenseman Steve Oleksy told the Washington Times. “He’s been great for us. It is huge for the locker room, huge for the energy in the building.”
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 32
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 1
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 16
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 27
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)