Oct 18, 2013, 1:18 PM EDT
Tom Wilson hasn’t played much this year, but has apparently shown the Capitals enough to stick.
That’s the word out of Washington on Friday as the Caps told Wilson, their first-round pick (16th overall) at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, that he’ll be with the big club for the remainder of the year.
Wilson, 19, was eligible to return to OHL Plymouth. He’s spent the last three years with the Whalers and had a solid 2012-13 campaign, scoring 23 goals and 58 points in 48 games.
The 6-foot-4, 205-pound Wilson made his Caps debut in last year’s playoffs, appearing in three games, then made the team out of training camp this season after a solid exhibition campaign.
While his minutes have been limited (he’s played all seven games but is only averaging 6:42 TOI per), the Caps have been impressed by his toughness. Wilson’s biggest impact this season has been with his fists, as he leads Washington with two fights — he’s actually the only Cap to have fought this season.
“Anybody who has played hockey will tell you, it is not an easy thing to do,” Caps defenseman Steve Oleksy told the Washington Times. “He’s been great for us. It is huge for the locker room, huge for the energy in the building.”
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)