Oct 18, 2013, 1:18 PM EDT
Tom Wilson hasn’t played much this year, but has apparently shown the Capitals enough to stick.
That’s the word out of Washington on Friday as the Caps told Wilson, their first-round pick (16th overall) at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, that he’ll be with the big club for the remainder of the year.
Wilson, 19, was eligible to return to OHL Plymouth. He’s spent the last three years with the Whalers and had a solid 2012-13 campaign, scoring 23 goals and 58 points in 48 games.
The 6-foot-4, 205-pound Wilson made his Caps debut in last year’s playoffs, appearing in three games, then made the team out of training camp this season after a solid exhibition campaign.
While his minutes have been limited (he’s played all seven games but is only averaging 6:42 TOI per), the Caps have been impressed by his toughness. Wilson’s biggest impact this season has been with his fists, as he leads Washington with two fights — he’s actually the only Cap to have fought this season.
“Anybody who has played hockey will tell you, it is not an easy thing to do,” Caps defenseman Steve Oleksy told the Washington Times. “He’s been great for us. It is huge for the locker room, huge for the energy in the building.”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 9
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)