Sutter on Preds: ‘They play the same way over and over and over and over and over and over and over’
Oct 18, 2013, 2:36 PM EST
To hear Darryl Sutter explain it, the Nashville Predators are pretty predictable opponents.
“They play the same way over and over,” Sutter told LA Kings Insider following Thursday’s 2-1 win at Bridgestone, “and over and over and over and over and over.”
Sutter’s as straight a shooter as it gets, and this statement — while hilarious — is also accurate. Nashville sticks to its gameplan as tight as anyone in the league, which is all a part of “playing Predator hockey.”
The Preds are convinced success goes hand-in-hand with their preferred style: defensive, responsible, gritty, hard-working and any other adjective used to describe how the average NHL fourth line is supposed to play.
Case in point? The 2012 playoffs, when GM David Poile lamented the fact the club got away from Predator hockey, the low point coming when two notoriously un-Predator guys, Alex Radulov and Andrei Kostitsyn, were suspended for late-night carousing.
“Let’s get back to Predator hockey,” Poile said. “Let’s get back to our identity. Let’s play a team game. Let’s be determined on the puck. Let’s be a little bit relentless.
“Let’s make sure we’re taking care of business on both sides of the puck and go from there. That’s plain and simple, that’s what we have to do.”
(For a better sense on how often “Predator hockey” gets used, click here.)
This isn’t to say Predator hockey is a bad thing. Sutter did acknowledge how difficult Nashville can be to play against.
“If they can break two or three guys’ will and force mistakes like they did tonight, and you don’t have the goaltending to match them,” he said, “then they’ll beat you.”
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 16
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 63
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (69)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)