Oct 18, 2013, 10:52 AM EDT
We’re not sure if this is going to be a thing all season, but it was last night while the Sabres were losing…yet again.
This latest loss, 3-0 to the Canucks, was bad right off the bat, with the home team getting absolutely dominated in front of the faithful at the First Niagara Center. Vancouver outshot Buffalo 19-7 in a first period that saw Ryan Miller make 18 saves, meaning it could’ve been much, much worse than 1-0 after 20 minutes.
With the defeat, the Sabres fell to 1-7-1. In nine games, they’ve scored just 11 goals. On a goals-per-game basis, Buffalo’s offense has been even worse than historically bad Philadelphia’s.
“This is ridiculous,” defenseman Mike Weber said. “This is extremely frustrating.”
Sabres fans are frustrated too, with many of them taking to Twitter to express their feelings. The hashtag that linked them together? That would be #suffering.
The Sabres’ next game is Saturday at home to Colorado.
Update: We’re told the #suffering hashtag comes from general manager Darcy Regier’s comments during April’s season-ending press conference, when he said: “I understand our fan base and I would like to think that people will give up some suffering in order to win a Stanley Cup.”
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 2
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 8
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)