Oct 18, 2013, 10:52 AM EDT
We’re not sure if this is going to be a thing all season, but it was last night while the Sabres were losing…yet again.
This latest loss, 3-0 to the Canucks, was bad right off the bat, with the home team getting absolutely dominated in front of the faithful at the First Niagara Center. Vancouver outshot Buffalo 19-7 in a first period that saw Ryan Miller make 18 saves, meaning it could’ve been much, much worse than 1-0 after 20 minutes.
With the defeat, the Sabres fell to 1-7-1. In nine games, they’ve scored just 11 goals. On a goals-per-game basis, Buffalo’s offense has been even worse than historically bad Philadelphia’s.
“This is ridiculous,” defenseman Mike Weber said. “This is extremely frustrating.”
Sabres fans are frustrated too, with many of them taking to Twitter to express their feelings. The hashtag that linked them together? That would be #suffering.
The Sabres’ next game is Saturday at home to Colorado.
Update: We’re told the #suffering hashtag comes from general manager Darcy Regier’s comments during April’s season-ending press conference, when he said: “I understand our fan base and I would like to think that people will give up some suffering in order to win a Stanley Cup.”
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 30
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)