Oct 18, 2013, 10:52 AM EST
We’re not sure if this is going to be a thing all season, but it was last night while the Sabres were losing…yet again.
This latest loss, 3-0 to the Canucks, was bad right off the bat, with the home team getting absolutely dominated in front of the faithful at the First Niagara Center. Vancouver outshot Buffalo 19-7 in a first period that saw Ryan Miller make 18 saves, meaning it could’ve been much, much worse than 1-0 after 20 minutes.
With the defeat, the Sabres fell to 1-7-1. In nine games, they’ve scored just 11 goals. On a goals-per-game basis, Buffalo’s offense has been even worse than historically bad Philadelphia’s.
“This is ridiculous,” defenseman Mike Weber said. “This is extremely frustrating.”
Sabres fans are frustrated too, with many of them taking to Twitter to express their feelings. The hashtag that linked them together? That would be #suffering.
The Sabres’ next game is Saturday at home to Colorado.
Update: We’re told the #suffering hashtag comes from general manager Darcy Regier’s comments during April’s season-ending press conference, when he said: “I understand our fan base and I would like to think that people will give up some suffering in order to win a Stanley Cup.”
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 40
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)