Oct 18, 2013, 10:01 AM EST
The start of the season for the Philadelphia Flyers has been less-than great. They’re currently 1-7-0 with just two points, fewest in the league. Their offense isn’t getting things done and it’s happening at a historically bad rate.
Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer shares a brutal factoid for Flyers fans to revel in about their miserable start.
Thursday’s 4-1 loss to visiting Pittsburgh marked the eighth straight time they had failed to score more than two goals since the season started. That’s the first time that has happened since 1964, when the Boston Bruins did it in the first nine games, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.
Even the Buffalo Sabres and New Jersey Devils aren’t having that much trouble scoring goals in bunches this season.
The Flyers have just two players who have more than one goal scored this season (Tye McGinn, Brayden Schenn) and just eight players in all who have even scored a goal at all. Oddly enough, both the Devils and Sabres also have just eight goal-scorers on the season.
Perhaps what they say about bad news coming in threes is true.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:59 PM EST
Alex Pietrangelo had 10 shots on goal, which was almost as much as Edmonton.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:37 PM EST
Ottawa has a rough schedule ahead of it.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:07 PM EST
The Red Wings have now won three straight contests.
Nov 28, 2014, 10:42 PM EST
Hope seems like a distant memory.
Nov 28, 2014, 10:11 PM EST
They’ve moved past their disappointing 2013-14 campaign.
Nov 28, 2014, 9:48 PM EST
Pittsburgh has been dominant outside of its division.
Nov 28, 2014, 9:16 PM EST
Not his finest moment.
Nov 28, 2014, 9:00 PM EST
He’s also approaching fifth place on the points leaderboard.
Nov 28, 2014, 8:02 PM EST
You don’t see many goals that look like this.
Nov 28, 2014, 7:27 PM EST
That’s on top of Johnny Boychuk’s injury.
Nov 28, 2014, 6:58 PM EST
“We just didn’t execute tonight.”
Nov 28, 2014, 6:10 PM EST
The Blackhawks defenseman was able to stay in the game.
Nov 28, 2014, 5:18 PM EST
He was quite composed when he said it, for the record.
Nov 28, 2014, 5:03 PM EST
Anaheim forward didn’t take another shift for the remainder of the opening frame.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:54 PM EST
Veteran d-man wasn’t playing much for Tampa Bay.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
Oilers looked better last night in Nashville.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:04 PM EST
Cam Talbot shuts the door again, Blueshirts win 3-0.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
“Just that idea destroys the whole credibility of an organization.”
Nov 28, 2014, 3:41 PM EST
Even after Semyon Varlamov returns from injury.
Nov 28, 2014, 2:45 PM EST
Not bad for a little guy who wasn’t even drafted.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 11
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)