Oct 18, 2013, 10:01 AM EDT
The start of the season for the Philadelphia Flyers has been less-than great. They’re currently 1-7-0 with just two points, fewest in the league. Their offense isn’t getting things done and it’s happening at a historically bad rate.
Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer shares a brutal factoid for Flyers fans to revel in about their miserable start.
Thursday’s 4-1 loss to visiting Pittsburgh marked the eighth straight time they had failed to score more than two goals since the season started. That’s the first time that has happened since 1964, when the Boston Bruins did it in the first nine games, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.
Even the Buffalo Sabres and New Jersey Devils aren’t having that much trouble scoring goals in bunches this season.
The Flyers have just two players who have more than one goal scored this season (Tye McGinn, Brayden Schenn) and just eight players in all who have even scored a goal at all. Oddly enough, both the Devils and Sabres also have just eight goal-scorers on the season.
Perhaps what they say about bad news coming in threes is true.
Mar 12, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
Led R.P.I in scoring this season.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:43 PM EDT
Austrian speedster hurt in Monday’s comeback win over Vancouver.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:14 PM EDT
Montreal’s beaten Boston five straight times.
Mar 12, 2014, 12:27 PM EDT
The full interview airs on Costas Tonight this Thursday, Mar. 13 at 12:30 a.m. ET on NBCSN.
Mar 12, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
i.e., do Pierre Karl Peladeau’s political aspirations hurt the chances of the Nordiques being reborn in Quebec City?
Mar 12, 2014, 11:43 AM EDT
“I am not going to comment on specific things about John. It is unfair to him.”
Mar 12, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT
How has Colorado done it?
Mar 12, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Now the man in charge of Southampton F.C.
Mar 12, 2014, 10:36 AM EDT
The feat comes during one of the toughest stretches of his career, though.
Mar 12, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
He was injured against Florida on Sunday.
Mar 12, 2014, 9:28 AM EDT
The Habs have five straight wins against Boston.
Mar 12, 2014, 8:15 AM EDT
That and the rest of the links to start your day ahead.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:21 AM EDT
He received a minor penalty for the hit.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:04 AM EDT
JVR seems OK, though.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:48 PM EDT
Dallas moves into the second wild card spot for now.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:26 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks aren’t happy about their game, either.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:52 PM EDT
And an interesting one overall for the East.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
Another memorable save for the icon.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
That’s eight in a row for Pittsburgh between these two teams.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
The contest featured his former team the Saginaw Spirit.
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 22
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 5
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 30
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 19
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (73)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)