Oct 18, 2013, 10:01 AM EST
The start of the season for the Philadelphia Flyers has been less-than great. They’re currently 1-7-0 with just two points, fewest in the league. Their offense isn’t getting things done and it’s happening at a historically bad rate.
Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer shares a brutal factoid for Flyers fans to revel in about their miserable start.
Thursday’s 4-1 loss to visiting Pittsburgh marked the eighth straight time they had failed to score more than two goals since the season started. That’s the first time that has happened since 1964, when the Boston Bruins did it in the first nine games, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.
Even the Buffalo Sabres and New Jersey Devils aren’t having that much trouble scoring goals in bunches this season.
The Flyers have just two players who have more than one goal scored this season (Tye McGinn, Brayden Schenn) and just eight players in all who have even scored a goal at all. Oddly enough, both the Devils and Sabres also have just eight goal-scorers on the season.
Perhaps what they say about bad news coming in threes is true.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)