Oct 18, 2013, 1:36 PM EDT
“It’s hard because there’s no injury on the play,” Ott told The Buffalo News. “I have a hard time with it for that simple fact. Is it suspendable? Absolutely, as in the guy could have really been hurt.
“But could have is not good enough for me.”
Kaleta, 27, will reportedly appeal his suspension, which was handed down on Tuesday. NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan noted the decision was reached because of the Johnson incident and Kaleta’s lengthy rap sheet, as he’s been either fined or suspended six times in the last four years.
On that last point, though, there’s a catch.
“Repeat offender” status as defined by the NHL’s collective bargaining agreement means a player who has been fined or suspended in the past 18 months.
Under that umbrella, Kaleta has only been suspended one time, for boarding Rangers forward Brad Richards last season. All his prior transgressions happened more than 18 months ago.
But, it’s worth noting this 18-month window only applies to the way the player’s forfeited salary is calculated. A repeat offender forfeits 1/82nd of his annual average salary for every game suspended; for non-repeat offenders, that ratio drops to 1/195th (the denominator being days in a season, rather than games in a season).
It remains to be seen how effective Kaleta’s appeal will be. One thing worth noting is that another notorious repeat offender — Phoenix’s Raffi Torres — got his 25-game ban for hitting Marian Hossa reduced to 21 games.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 53
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 32
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 28
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 16
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)