Oct 18, 2013, 1:53 PM EST
We don’t typically promote rampant trade speculation here on PHT (OK, we totally do), but we’d be remiss to not mention that goalie Robin Lehner will reportedly start for Ottawa tomorrow afternoon when the Senators host Edmonton.
The Oilers, of course, are believed to be scouring the league for a goalie — a direct response to Devan Dubnyk’s early-season struggles. And given the Sens already have Craig Anderson as their starter, well, perhaps there’s a match with Lehner and his career .927 save percentage in 27 NHL appearances?
Whatever. Just something to think about. But expect to hear the term “showcasing” to describe what the Sens may or may not be doing by giving the 22-year-old Lehner the nod versus Edmonton. (In reality, Anderson has started the last three games, so chances are it’s just Lehner’s turn. But what fun is reality?)
In a related story, TSN reporter Darren Dreger created quite the buzz yesterday when he went on the radio in Toronto and said he didn’t think the Maple Leafs would trade goalie James Reimer to Edmonton for Nail Yakupov.
“I don’t know that Toronto or any team in the National Hockey League, including Edmonton, is sold on Nail Yakupov,” said Dreger. “And that sounds like a pretty stinging indictment of this young man, first overall in 2012, but he just hasn’t developed to a point yet where you’re going to spend an asset that you can trust to take a shot on this guy.”
The Edmonton Journal has the full transcript of that conversation, if you’re curious.
Related: Russian Olympic scout blasts Yakupov
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 42
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 86
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 81
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (81)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (78)