Oct 18, 2013, 1:53 PM EDT
We don’t typically promote rampant trade speculation here on PHT (OK, we totally do), but we’d be remiss to not mention that goalie Robin Lehner will reportedly start for Ottawa tomorrow afternoon when the Senators host Edmonton.
The Oilers, of course, are believed to be scouring the league for a goalie — a direct response to Devan Dubnyk’s early-season struggles. And given the Sens already have Craig Anderson as their starter, well, perhaps there’s a match with Lehner and his career .927 save percentage in 27 NHL appearances?
Whatever. Just something to think about. But expect to hear the term “showcasing” to describe what the Sens may or may not be doing by giving the 22-year-old Lehner the nod versus Edmonton. (In reality, Anderson has started the last three games, so chances are it’s just Lehner’s turn. But what fun is reality?)
In a related story, TSN reporter Darren Dreger created quite the buzz yesterday when he went on the radio in Toronto and said he didn’t think the Maple Leafs would trade goalie James Reimer to Edmonton for Nail Yakupov.
“I don’t know that Toronto or any team in the National Hockey League, including Edmonton, is sold on Nail Yakupov,” said Dreger. “And that sounds like a pretty stinging indictment of this young man, first overall in 2012, but he just hasn’t developed to a point yet where you’re going to spend an asset that you can trust to take a shot on this guy.”
The Edmonton Journal has the full transcript of that conversation, if you’re curious.
Related: Russian Olympic scout blasts Yakupov
- Five big games to watch this weekend 1
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 28
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)