Oct 18, 2013, 1:53 PM EDT
We don’t typically promote rampant trade speculation here on PHT (OK, we totally do), but we’d be remiss to not mention that goalie Robin Lehner will reportedly start for Ottawa tomorrow afternoon when the Senators host Edmonton.
The Oilers, of course, are believed to be scouring the league for a goalie — a direct response to Devan Dubnyk’s early-season struggles. And given the Sens already have Craig Anderson as their starter, well, perhaps there’s a match with Lehner and his career .927 save percentage in 27 NHL appearances?
Whatever. Just something to think about. But expect to hear the term “showcasing” to describe what the Sens may or may not be doing by giving the 22-year-old Lehner the nod versus Edmonton. (In reality, Anderson has started the last three games, so chances are it’s just Lehner’s turn. But what fun is reality?)
In a related story, TSN reporter Darren Dreger created quite the buzz yesterday when he went on the radio in Toronto and said he didn’t think the Maple Leafs would trade goalie James Reimer to Edmonton for Nail Yakupov.
“I don’t know that Toronto or any team in the National Hockey League, including Edmonton, is sold on Nail Yakupov,” said Dreger. “And that sounds like a pretty stinging indictment of this young man, first overall in 2012, but he just hasn’t developed to a point yet where you’re going to spend an asset that you can trust to take a shot on this guy.”
The Edmonton Journal has the full transcript of that conversation, if you’re curious.
Related: Russian Olympic scout blasts Yakupov
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)