Oct 18, 2013, 1:53 PM EST
We don’t typically promote rampant trade speculation here on PHT (OK, we totally do), but we’d be remiss to not mention that goalie Robin Lehner will reportedly start for Ottawa tomorrow afternoon when the Senators host Edmonton.
The Oilers, of course, are believed to be scouring the league for a goalie — a direct response to Devan Dubnyk’s early-season struggles. And given the Sens already have Craig Anderson as their starter, well, perhaps there’s a match with Lehner and his career .927 save percentage in 27 NHL appearances?
Whatever. Just something to think about. But expect to hear the term “showcasing” to describe what the Sens may or may not be doing by giving the 22-year-old Lehner the nod versus Edmonton. (In reality, Anderson has started the last three games, so chances are it’s just Lehner’s turn. But what fun is reality?)
In a related story, TSN reporter Darren Dreger created quite the buzz yesterday when he went on the radio in Toronto and said he didn’t think the Maple Leafs would trade goalie James Reimer to Edmonton for Nail Yakupov.
“I don’t know that Toronto or any team in the National Hockey League, including Edmonton, is sold on Nail Yakupov,” said Dreger. “And that sounds like a pretty stinging indictment of this young man, first overall in 2012, but he just hasn’t developed to a point yet where you’re going to spend an asset that you can trust to take a shot on this guy.”
The Edmonton Journal has the full transcript of that conversation, if you’re curious.
Related: Russian Olympic scout blasts Yakupov
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)