Oct 18, 2013, 1:59 PM EST
The New Jersey Devils have yet to win a game this season, going 0-3-4 through their first seven contests.
A bad start, sure, but not enough for Lou Lamoriello to push the panic button.
The Devils GM gave head coach Peter DeBoer and his staff a vote of confidence on Friday, saying they — along with the Devils players — are trying their hardest to bump the slump.
“The coaching staff is doing everything they can,” Lamoriello told the New Jersey Star-Ledger. “So are the players. They’re working at it. We have to be more consistent in certain areas.”
DeBoer confirmed he had the GM’s backing.
“Lou’s been very positive with what we’re doing,” he explained. “No one is happy we’re losing.”
The Devils are suggesting a brutal opening road stretch — they played six of their first seven away from Prudential — is a big reason for the early woes. Problem is, things aren’t about get any easier on the travel front as the Devils will play five of their next nine on the road as well.
(If you’re wondering when the schedule gets favorable for New Jersey, look at the late stages of the season. The Devils have a five-game homestand from Mar. 18-27, and play 10 of their final 14 games at Prudential.)
While DeBoer’s job appears to be safe, this is the Devils we’re talking about. Lamoriello can be unpredictable and has displayed an itchy trigger finger before, eschewing the ideas of “staying the course” and “sticking to the process” should losses pile up too high — like they did under John MacLean, who was fired after just nine wins in 33 games to start the 2010-11 season.
For Lamoriello, it’s all about victories.
“We didn’t win and the bottom line is winning,” he said following a 5-2 defeat in Ottawa. “There’s no question.”
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 21
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 18
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 22
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 31
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 35
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 58