Oct 18, 2013, 1:59 PM EST
The New Jersey Devils have yet to win a game this season, going 0-3-4 through their first seven contests.
A bad start, sure, but not enough for Lou Lamoriello to push the panic button.
The Devils GM gave head coach Peter DeBoer and his staff a vote of confidence on Friday, saying they — along with the Devils players — are trying their hardest to bump the slump.
“The coaching staff is doing everything they can,” Lamoriello told the New Jersey Star-Ledger. “So are the players. They’re working at it. We have to be more consistent in certain areas.”
DeBoer confirmed he had the GM’s backing.
“Lou’s been very positive with what we’re doing,” he explained. “No one is happy we’re losing.”
The Devils are suggesting a brutal opening road stretch — they played six of their first seven away from Prudential — is a big reason for the early woes. Problem is, things aren’t about get any easier on the travel front as the Devils will play five of their next nine on the road as well.
(If you’re wondering when the schedule gets favorable for New Jersey, look at the late stages of the season. The Devils have a five-game homestand from Mar. 18-27, and play 10 of their final 14 games at Prudential.)
While DeBoer’s job appears to be safe, this is the Devils we’re talking about. Lamoriello can be unpredictable and has displayed an itchy trigger finger before, eschewing the ideas of “staying the course” and “sticking to the process” should losses pile up too high — like they did under John MacLean, who was fired after just nine wins in 33 games to start the 2010-11 season.
For Lamoriello, it’s all about victories.
“We didn’t win and the bottom line is winning,” he said following a 5-2 defeat in Ottawa. “There’s no question.”
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 28
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)