Oct 18, 2013, 4:58 PM EST
Some news and notes from around the crease…
Ducks go with Hiller
To fill the Fasth void, Anaheim has recalled Frederik Andersen from AHL Norfolk.
The Ducks have split games between Hiller and Fasth evenly this season, but Hiller has performed better and could be in line for a series of starts. The Swiss ‘tender is 3-0-0 this year with a 1.30 GAA and .959 save percentage while Fasth is 2-1 with a 3.33 GAA and .877 save percentage.
Schneider to face Rangers
In what is about as close to a “must-win” game as you can get this early in the season, the New Jersey Devils will start Cory Schneider in goal on Saturday for a grudge match against the Rangers at Prudential.
The decision is historic, as home games against the Blueshirts have basically been owned by Martin Brodeur over the last 20 years, so long as he was healthy.
In fact, according to Tom Gulitti of NorthJersey.com, last time Brodeur didn’t start a home game vs. Rangers (when he wasn’t injured or returning from injury) was in 1993, when Chris Terreri was on the hook for a 3-1 loss.
Reimer says he’s OK
The 25-year-old ‘tender was clipped by teammate Josh Leivo against the ‘Canes and was forced out as a precautionary measure. Reimer is 2-0-0 on the year with a 3.17 GAA and .917 save percentage, but looks to be slipping in the race for playing time behind Jonathan Bernier, who has been excellent to start the season.
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 1
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 3
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 50
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (50)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)