Oct 18, 2013, 4:58 PM EDT
Some news and notes from around the crease…
Ducks go with Hiller
To fill the Fasth void, Anaheim has recalled Frederik Andersen from AHL Norfolk.
The Ducks have split games between Hiller and Fasth evenly this season, but Hiller has performed better and could be in line for a series of starts. The Swiss ‘tender is 3-0-0 this year with a 1.30 GAA and .959 save percentage while Fasth is 2-1 with a 3.33 GAA and .877 save percentage.
Schneider to face Rangers
In what is about as close to a “must-win” game as you can get this early in the season, the New Jersey Devils will start Cory Schneider in goal on Saturday for a grudge match against the Rangers at Prudential.
The decision is historic, as home games against the Blueshirts have basically been owned by Martin Brodeur over the last 20 years, so long as he was healthy.
In fact, according to Tom Gulitti of NorthJersey.com, last time Brodeur didn’t start a home game vs. Rangers (when he wasn’t injured or returning from injury) was in 1993, when Chris Terreri was on the hook for a 3-1 loss.
Reimer says he’s OK
The 25-year-old ‘tender was clipped by teammate Josh Leivo against the ‘Canes and was forced out as a precautionary measure. Reimer is 2-0-0 on the year with a 3.17 GAA and .917 save percentage, but looks to be slipping in the race for playing time behind Jonathan Bernier, who has been excellent to start the season.
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 0
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 53
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 26
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (62)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)