Oct 18, 2013, 4:58 PM EST
Some news and notes from around the crease…
Ducks go with Hiller
To fill the Fasth void, Anaheim has recalled Frederik Andersen from AHL Norfolk.
The Ducks have split games between Hiller and Fasth evenly this season, but Hiller has performed better and could be in line for a series of starts. The Swiss ‘tender is 3-0-0 this year with a 1.30 GAA and .959 save percentage while Fasth is 2-1 with a 3.33 GAA and .877 save percentage.
Schneider to face Rangers
In what is about as close to a “must-win” game as you can get this early in the season, the New Jersey Devils will start Cory Schneider in goal on Saturday for a grudge match against the Rangers at Prudential.
The decision is historic, as home games against the Blueshirts have basically been owned by Martin Brodeur over the last 20 years, so long as he was healthy.
In fact, according to Tom Gulitti of NorthJersey.com, last time Brodeur didn’t start a home game vs. Rangers (when he wasn’t injured or returning from injury) was in 1993, when Chris Terreri was on the hook for a 3-1 loss.
Reimer says he’s OK
The 25-year-old ‘tender was clipped by teammate Josh Leivo against the ‘Canes and was forced out as a precautionary measure. Reimer is 2-0-0 on the year with a 3.17 GAA and .917 save percentage, but looks to be slipping in the race for playing time behind Jonathan Bernier, who has been excellent to start the season.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 10
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54