Oct 18, 2013, 1:02 PM EDT
Winnipeg head coach Claude Noel provided the Kane update today. The Jets (3-4-0) have lost four of five after winning their first two, so the news that one of their best forwards’ injury isn’t serious is most welcome.
As for Noel, he’s feeling the heat as his team continues to struggle for consistency.
There’s no questioning Noel is in a tough spot. His GM has just been signed to a fresh five years and the bulk of his core players are also on long-term deals.
The coach, however, has only this year and next left on his deal, exposing him to be the first in line should change be deemed necessary.
The players, should Noel get a little too pushy for their liking, can tune him out. The GM, who has spent the last two years locking these players up with deals that stretch as long as seven years, likely won’t want to hear the skaters are the problem.
Leaving Noel to walk a tightrope and still find a way to get results from this group.
Also worth noting: Winnipeg played five of its first seven games at the raucous MTS Centre — a schedule that could have helped the Jets to a good start. Instead, there have been home losses to Anaheim, Dallas and Montreal.
After the St. Louis game, the Jets host the Predators Saturday and Capitals Tuesday then hit the road for a four-game trip to Nashville, Dallas, Colorado and St. Louis.
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 4
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 5
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 11
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 32
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 36
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)