Oct 18, 2013, 1:02 PM EDT
Winnipeg head coach Claude Noel provided the Kane update today. The Jets (3-4-0) have lost four of five after winning their first two, so the news that one of their best forwards’ injury isn’t serious is most welcome.
As for Noel, he’s feeling the heat as his team continues to struggle for consistency.
There’s no questioning Noel is in a tough spot. His GM has just been signed to a fresh five years and the bulk of his core players are also on long-term deals.
The coach, however, has only this year and next left on his deal, exposing him to be the first in line should change be deemed necessary.
The players, should Noel get a little too pushy for their liking, can tune him out. The GM, who has spent the last two years locking these players up with deals that stretch as long as seven years, likely won’t want to hear the skaters are the problem.
Leaving Noel to walk a tightrope and still find a way to get results from this group.
Also worth noting: Winnipeg played five of its first seven games at the raucous MTS Centre — a schedule that could have helped the Jets to a good start. Instead, there have been home losses to Anaheim, Dallas and Montreal.
After the St. Louis game, the Jets host the Predators Saturday and Capitals Tuesday then hit the road for a four-game trip to Nashville, Dallas, Colorado and St. Louis.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)