Oct 18, 2013, 1:02 PM EDT
Winnipeg head coach Claude Noel provided the Kane update today. The Jets (3-4-0) have lost four of five after winning their first two, so the news that one of their best forwards’ injury isn’t serious is most welcome.
As for Noel, he’s feeling the heat as his team continues to struggle for consistency.
There’s no questioning Noel is in a tough spot. His GM has just been signed to a fresh five years and the bulk of his core players are also on long-term deals.
The coach, however, has only this year and next left on his deal, exposing him to be the first in line should change be deemed necessary.
The players, should Noel get a little too pushy for their liking, can tune him out. The GM, who has spent the last two years locking these players up with deals that stretch as long as seven years, likely won’t want to hear the skaters are the problem.
Leaving Noel to walk a tightrope and still find a way to get results from this group.
Also worth noting: Winnipeg played five of its first seven games at the raucous MTS Centre — a schedule that could have helped the Jets to a good start. Instead, there have been home losses to Anaheim, Dallas and Montreal.
After the St. Louis game, the Jets host the Predators Saturday and Capitals Tuesday then hit the road for a four-game trip to Nashville, Dallas, Colorado and St. Louis.
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 35
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)