Oct 18, 2013, 6:52 PM EDT
Alex Edler has been suspended three times for a total of nine games in the last eight months, but says those punishments won’t alter his approach.
“I’m not going to change the way I play,” Edler told The Province on Friday. “I look at myself as a clean player and I try to play aggressive and that’s when I’m at my best.”
The 27-year-old defenseman is eligible to return from a three-game ban on Saturday against Pittsburgh, a suspension received following a headshot on Sharks rookie Tomas Hertl on Oct. 10.
The three-game punishment was made in part because Edler had a previous blemish on his disciplinary record — a two-game ban for charging Phoenix goalie Mike Smith in March.
But those weren’t all of Edler’s disciplinary problems.
The Swede was also punished in international play, getting four games for going knee-on-knee with Canada’s Eric Staal during the 2013 World Hockey Championships. Edler sat out the last two games of the tournament, then was dinged for two more following a secondary IIHF hearing.
Despite the three strikes on his record, Edler vows his game will go unchanged.
That’s music to the ears of his head coach.
“I would teach that play to all our defencemen,” John Tortorella said of the check Edler put on Hertl. “The one he was suspended on we’re teaching that.
“The league just happens to believe it’s suspendable.”
Apr 23, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
But Pittsburgh’s lead is far from secure.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:47 PM EDT
He was second in the regular season scoring race.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
San Jose will go for the sweep on Thursday.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
Nick Schultz took his place.
Apr 23, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
The game will start at 8:00 p.m. ET.
Apr 23, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
Neither team has done a good job of playing with the lead.
Apr 23, 2014, 5:39 PM EDT
He made his series debut in the late stages of Game 3.
Apr 23, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT
“I do look cross-eyed for sure.”
Apr 23, 2014, 4:21 PM EDT
Patrick Roy made it official on Wednesday.
Apr 23, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT
There he is with Patrick Bordeleau’s glove in his face.
Apr 23, 2014, 2:43 PM EDT
Physical battle starting to take its toll.
Apr 23, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Are changes needed?
Apr 23, 2014, 2:33 PM EDT
All the goals came against Ilya Bryzgalov, which is worth mentioning.
Apr 23, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
All games can be seen on either NBC, NBCSN or CNBC.
Apr 23, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
First time he’s been scratched in the playoffs in 10 years.
Apr 23, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT
Two of the NHL’s best offenses have struggled with the man advantage.
Apr 23, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
“That’s what made them successful because they believed in what they were doing.”
Apr 23, 2014, 11:53 AM EDT
A “real steady force back there” must now be replaced.
Apr 23, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT
Colorado forward is expected to take home the honors.
Apr 23, 2014, 11:16 AM EDT
“He didn’t get to play enough hockey this season, so he’s still eager to play.”
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 2
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 37
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 11
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 49
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 40
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (135)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)