Oct 18, 2013, 2:56 PM EDT
After knocking off defending Cup champs Chicago for the second time this season on Thursday, the Blues are giving two of their elder statesmen some rest.
St. Louis announced alternate captain Barret Jackman and forward Brenden Morrow would be held out of Friday’s game against Winnipeg, giving Ian Cole and Adam Cracknell their season debuts in the process.
“We’re going to rest Jackman and Morrow — both have upper-body ailments,” Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “So they’ll rest today and give a chance for Cole and Cracknell to play.”
Jackman played 17:50 against Chicago last night — finishing with a minus-2 rating — while Morrow played 10:32 after being shaken up on a hit from San Jose’s Brent Burns on Tuesday night.
While it wasn’t a banner effort from either guy, they were part of a Blues team that rallied from a disappointing 6-2 loss to the Sharks to remain perfect against the Blackhawks.
As for the day off, Hitchcock insisted this wasn’t just about keeping two veterans — Jackman’s 32, Morrow’s 34 — out of a back-to-back scenario.
“They’ve been kind of playing through things, so this gives them a chance to reset the dial,” he explained. “It’s easy because you want to put other guys in.
“But I think this gives us two days (off) because we’re not going to skate tomorrow. So they should be 100 percent, or close to it, and ready for Sunday’s practice.”
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 7
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 2
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 16
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 47
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 19
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 9
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 60
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (47)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)