Oct 18, 2013, 2:56 PM EDT
After knocking off defending Cup champs Chicago for the second time this season on Thursday, the Blues are giving two of their elder statesmen some rest.
St. Louis announced alternate captain Barret Jackman and forward Brenden Morrow would be held out of Friday’s game against Winnipeg, giving Ian Cole and Adam Cracknell their season debuts in the process.
“We’re going to rest Jackman and Morrow — both have upper-body ailments,” Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “So they’ll rest today and give a chance for Cole and Cracknell to play.”
Jackman played 17:50 against Chicago last night — finishing with a minus-2 rating — while Morrow played 10:32 after being shaken up on a hit from San Jose’s Brent Burns on Tuesday night.
While it wasn’t a banner effort from either guy, they were part of a Blues team that rallied from a disappointing 6-2 loss to the Sharks to remain perfect against the Blackhawks.
As for the day off, Hitchcock insisted this wasn’t just about keeping two veterans — Jackman’s 32, Morrow’s 34 — out of a back-to-back scenario.
“They’ve been kind of playing through things, so this gives them a chance to reset the dial,” he explained. “It’s easy because you want to put other guys in.
“But I think this gives us two days (off) because we’re not going to skate tomorrow. So they should be 100 percent, or close to it, and ready for Sunday’s practice.”
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 20
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)