Oct 18, 2013, 2:56 PM EST
After knocking off defending Cup champs Chicago for the second time this season on Thursday, the Blues are giving two of their elder statesmen some rest.
St. Louis announced alternate captain Barret Jackman and forward Brenden Morrow would be held out of Friday’s game against Winnipeg, giving Ian Cole and Adam Cracknell their season debuts in the process.
“We’re going to rest Jackman and Morrow — both have upper-body ailments,” Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “So they’ll rest today and give a chance for Cole and Cracknell to play.”
Jackman played 17:50 against Chicago last night — finishing with a minus-2 rating — while Morrow played 10:32 after being shaken up on a hit from San Jose’s Brent Burns on Tuesday night.
While it wasn’t a banner effort from either guy, they were part of a Blues team that rallied from a disappointing 6-2 loss to the Sharks to remain perfect against the Blackhawks.
As for the day off, Hitchcock insisted this wasn’t just about keeping two veterans — Jackman’s 32, Morrow’s 34 — out of a back-to-back scenario.
“They’ve been kind of playing through things, so this gives them a chance to reset the dial,” he explained. “It’s easy because you want to put other guys in.
“But I think this gives us two days (off) because we’re not going to skate tomorrow. So they should be 100 percent, or close to it, and ready for Sunday’s practice.”
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 0
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 6
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 38
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 23
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 31
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 45