Oct 18, 2013, 2:56 PM EDT
After knocking off defending Cup champs Chicago for the second time this season on Thursday, the Blues are giving two of their elder statesmen some rest.
St. Louis announced alternate captain Barret Jackman and forward Brenden Morrow would be held out of Friday’s game against Winnipeg, giving Ian Cole and Adam Cracknell their season debuts in the process.
“We’re going to rest Jackman and Morrow — both have upper-body ailments,” Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “So they’ll rest today and give a chance for Cole and Cracknell to play.”
Jackman played 17:50 against Chicago last night — finishing with a minus-2 rating — while Morrow played 10:32 after being shaken up on a hit from San Jose’s Brent Burns on Tuesday night.
While it wasn’t a banner effort from either guy, they were part of a Blues team that rallied from a disappointing 6-2 loss to the Sharks to remain perfect against the Blackhawks.
As for the day off, Hitchcock insisted this wasn’t just about keeping two veterans — Jackman’s 32, Morrow’s 34 — out of a back-to-back scenario.
“They’ve been kind of playing through things, so this gives them a chance to reset the dial,” he explained. “It’s easy because you want to put other guys in.
“But I think this gives us two days (off) because we’re not going to skate tomorrow. So they should be 100 percent, or close to it, and ready for Sunday’s practice.”
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 14
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 31
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)