Oct 18, 2013, 6:22 PM EDT
Lapierre, 28, was given a five-minute major and game misconduct for the hit, and has already served one game of his suspension (Thursday night’s 3-2 shootout win over Chicago), as he was prevented from playing until his in-person hearing with the NHL’s Player Safety Department, which occurred on Friday.
In his explanatory video, NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan noted that Boyle’s loss of balance contributed to the collision, which ended in a “violent result” causing “serious injury.”
That said, Lapierre didn’t escape culpability.
“Lapierre uses his arms to finish [Boyle] high and in the back, causing Boyle’s jaw to hit the blue dasher on top of the boards, and knocking him unconscious,” Shanahan explained. “At no point does Lapierre see anything other than Boyle’s numbers when he decides to finish him on this check.”
Here’s the video. It’s worth a watch, given Shanahan goes into great detail about what constitutes boarding and how the hitter (in this case, Lapierre) bears responsibility, especially if the hit “causes the opponent to hit or impact the boards violently or dangerously.”
It’s also worth noting that Lapierre’s history was taken into account — he was suspended in 2010 for a similar boarding incident against Scot Nichol.
Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and, based on his average annual salary, Lapierre will forfeit $28,205, money that will go the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
Lapierre is eligible to return to the St. Louis lineup on Nov. 1, against the Florida Panthers.
Update 6:31 p.m. ET
Interesting note here from TVA’s Louis Jean about Lapierre’s meeting at NHL headquarters:
Part of the in-person hearing w/ Lapierre today was to educate him on his play. He was warned last year to cease hitting from behind.
— Louis Jean (@LouisJean_TVA) October 18, 2013
Apr 20, 2014, 10:52 PM EDT
Just another game between these two California rivals.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:34 PM EDT
Jon Cooper straddles the line between snarky and careful.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT
Tough breaks for Tampa Bay.
Apr 20, 2014, 9:28 PM EDT
Remarkable … and risky?
Apr 20, 2014, 9:05 PM EDT
Kings hope to avoid two straight years of 0-2 first-round deficits.
Apr 20, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
Tampa Bay’s captain managed to return later in the game.
Apr 20, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
Classy gesture after 16 seasons with the Predators.
Apr 20, 2014, 7:32 PM EDT
Not exactly an ideal start for Anders Lindback.
Apr 20, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
He stopped 31 out of 33 in Sunday’s win vs. the Rangers.
Apr 20, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Can the Bolts get back in this series?
Apr 20, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT
Milan Lucic scored a goal a game after that spearing incident.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
They are playing on opposite sides in the Detroit-Boston series.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
They’re down 2-0 to Montreal going into Game 3 tonight.
Apr 20, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
The series is tied at 1-1.
Apr 20, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Chicago will have to find a way to get back into this series without one of its top defenseman.
Apr 20, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
It’s the second part of NBC’s doubleheader.
Apr 20, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
He stopped 30 shots on Saturday.
Apr 20, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
Pittsburgh dropped Game 2 against Columbus.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:23 PM EDT
The Bruins are one of the most effective teams in the league with the man advantage.
Apr 20, 2014, 11:31 AM EDT
He was pulled late in Friday’s game.
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 11
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 35
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 85
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (87)