Oct 17, 2013, 11:26 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs lost in peculiar fashion Thursday night.
With just under seven minutes remaining in the third period of Thursday’s game against Carolina, Hurricanes defenseman Ron Hainsey went to make a pass up ice, however he missed his intended target. As the puck slid into the Leafs’ end, linesman Don Henderson waved off the icing call (as some of you have pointed out, the Hurricanes forward appeared ahead of the Leafs defenseman at the faceoff dots).
The puck somehow found its way into the net, much to the surprise of Toronto netminder Jonathan Bernier.
From NHL.com, here is an interpretation of the new rule:
Once the Linesman determines that the puck will cross the goal line, icing is completed upon the determination as to which player (attacking or defending) would first touch the puck. This decision by the Linesman will be made the instant the first player reaches the end zone face-off dots with the player’s skate being the determining factor.
The topic of hybrid icing has brought about plenty of discussion; it was implemented for the pre-season and then approved for the beginning of the regular season.
Below are some of the conflicting opinions from earlier in the exhibition schedule:
L.A. Kings head coach Darryl Sutter: “The [old] rule’s fine…I don’t know why, quite honest, why we…change it. The rule’s fine. I know everybody thinks, they say, ‘Oh, this guy got hurt,’ or ‘this guy got hurt.’ You can count on one hand how many in the last five years. The players are very respectful of the rule now. We keep wanting to put rules in just because somebody wants to say, ‘I made this rule. It was my rule.’ I’m not for that at all.”
Senators defenseman Marc Methot: “I know it’s going to be hard for linesmen because they have to make a lot of judgment calls and I’m sure they’re going to take a lot of heat from coaches, but that’s the game. And if you can protect the players as far as I’m concerned you’re making the right call.”
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Chara suffers undisclosed issue, won’t return on Thursday 14
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)