Oct 17, 2013, 11:26 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs lost in peculiar fashion Thursday night.
With just under seven minutes remaining in the third period of Thursday’s game against Carolina, Hurricanes defenseman Ron Hainsey went to make a pass up ice, however he missed his intended target. As the puck slid into the Leafs’ end, linesman Don Henderson waved off the icing call (as some of you have pointed out, the Hurricanes forward appeared ahead of the Leafs defenseman at the faceoff dots).
The puck somehow found its way into the net, much to the surprise of Toronto netminder Jonathan Bernier.
From NHL.com, here is an interpretation of the new rule:
Once the Linesman determines that the puck will cross the goal line, icing is completed upon the determination as to which player (attacking or defending) would first touch the puck. This decision by the Linesman will be made the instant the first player reaches the end zone face-off dots with the player’s skate being the determining factor.
The topic of hybrid icing has brought about plenty of discussion; it was implemented for the pre-season and then approved for the beginning of the regular season.
Below are some of the conflicting opinions from earlier in the exhibition schedule:
L.A. Kings head coach Darryl Sutter: “The [old] rule’s fine…I don’t know why, quite honest, why we…change it. The rule’s fine. I know everybody thinks, they say, ‘Oh, this guy got hurt,’ or ‘this guy got hurt.’ You can count on one hand how many in the last five years. The players are very respectful of the rule now. We keep wanting to put rules in just because somebody wants to say, ‘I made this rule. It was my rule.’ I’m not for that at all.”
Senators defenseman Marc Methot: “I know it’s going to be hard for linesmen because they have to make a lot of judgment calls and I’m sure they’re going to take a lot of heat from coaches, but that’s the game. And if you can protect the players as far as I’m concerned you’re making the right call.”
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 16
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39