Oct 17, 2013, 9:56 AM EDT
The New York Rangers ended their three-game losing streak on Wednesday, but they nearly lost another top forward in the process.
Still playing without Rick Nash, who likely has a concussion, Derek Stepan was the victim of an open-ice collision with Washington Capitals forward Troy Brouwer. Although Brouwer asserted that the incident was accidental, Rangers coach Alain Vigneault believes otherwise.
Either way, Stepan fortunately feels “fine” and he doesn’t seem to be reading too much into the whole event.
“Yeah, it’s part of the game, it happens,” Stepan said, according to the Bergen Record. He added, “Obviously I never saw him coming. I can’t sit here and say if he did one thing or another. It happens, it’s part of the game. He said something to me on the ice that he didn’t see me. That’s part of it, whatever.”
Stepan went through the concussion protocol, but for now it sounds like that was a precautionary measure in his case.
If you missed the hit, you can view it below:
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 26
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 58
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)