Oct 17, 2013, 9:56 AM EST
The New York Rangers ended their three-game losing streak on Wednesday, but they nearly lost another top forward in the process.
Still playing without Rick Nash, who likely has a concussion, Derek Stepan was the victim of an open-ice collision with Washington Capitals forward Troy Brouwer. Although Brouwer asserted that the incident was accidental, Rangers coach Alain Vigneault believes otherwise.
Either way, Stepan fortunately feels “fine” and he doesn’t seem to be reading too much into the whole event.
“Yeah, it’s part of the game, it happens,” Stepan said, according to the Bergen Record. He added, “Obviously I never saw him coming. I can’t sit here and say if he did one thing or another. It happens, it’s part of the game. He said something to me on the ice that he didn’t see me. That’s part of it, whatever.”
Stepan went through the concussion protocol, but for now it sounds like that was a precautionary measure in his case.
If you missed the hit, you can view it below:
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 0
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 74
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 2
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 20
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 30
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 24
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (86)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)