Oct 17, 2013, 9:56 AM EST
The New York Rangers ended their three-game losing streak on Wednesday, but they nearly lost another top forward in the process.
Still playing without Rick Nash, who likely has a concussion, Derek Stepan was the victim of an open-ice collision with Washington Capitals forward Troy Brouwer. Although Brouwer asserted that the incident was accidental, Rangers coach Alain Vigneault believes otherwise.
Either way, Stepan fortunately feels “fine” and he doesn’t seem to be reading too much into the whole event.
“Yeah, it’s part of the game, it happens,” Stepan said, according to the Bergen Record. He added, “Obviously I never saw him coming. I can’t sit here and say if he did one thing or another. It happens, it’s part of the game. He said something to me on the ice that he didn’t see me. That’s part of it, whatever.”
Stepan went through the concussion protocol, but for now it sounds like that was a precautionary measure in his case.
If you missed the hit, you can view it below:
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 14
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 6
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 48
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (59)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)