Oct 17, 2013, 6:58 PM EDT
Valeri Nichushkin is getting another kick at the can — albeit from a different side of the can.
Nichushkin, Dallas’ first round pick (10th overall) at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, will be back in the lineup tonight when the Stars take on San Jose, but he’ll be at left wing after playing on the right to open the season.
“It’s just a look we are going to try,” head coach Lindy Ruff told the Stars website. “He’s played four games at right wing and he’s got one shot on net.
“We’re going to give him a look over there, but that doesn’t mean he is going to stay there.”
Nichushkin, 18, will skate alongside Shawn Horcoff and Erik Cole, and the hope is tthose veteran presences will spark Nichushkin’s offense. Ruff said the Russian winger, who only had one shot on goal in four games, was starting to search for offensive chances, which led to him losing his focus.
“I know he’s frustrated,” Ruff said of Nichushkin. “Like any young player, he wants to score and he wants points, and I think all of that will come if the right things happen.”
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 30
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)