Oct 17, 2013, 6:58 PM EDT
Valeri Nichushkin is getting another kick at the can — albeit from a different side of the can.
Nichushkin, Dallas’ first round pick (10th overall) at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, will be back in the lineup tonight when the Stars take on San Jose, but he’ll be at left wing after playing on the right to open the season.
“It’s just a look we are going to try,” head coach Lindy Ruff told the Stars website. “He’s played four games at right wing and he’s got one shot on net.
“We’re going to give him a look over there, but that doesn’t mean he is going to stay there.”
Nichushkin, 18, will skate alongside Shawn Horcoff and Erik Cole, and the hope is tthose veteran presences will spark Nichushkin’s offense. Ruff said the Russian winger, who only had one shot on goal in four games, was starting to search for offensive chances, which led to him losing his focus.
“I know he’s frustrated,” Ruff said of Nichushkin. “Like any young player, he wants to score and he wants points, and I think all of that will come if the right things happen.”
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 0
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 5
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 17
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 6
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 114
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 55
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 14
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 42
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20