Oct 17, 2013, 6:58 PM EDT
Valeri Nichushkin is getting another kick at the can — albeit from a different side of the can.
Nichushkin, Dallas’ first round pick (10th overall) at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, will be back in the lineup tonight when the Stars take on San Jose, but he’ll be at left wing after playing on the right to open the season.
“It’s just a look we are going to try,” head coach Lindy Ruff told the Stars website. “He’s played four games at right wing and he’s got one shot on net.
“We’re going to give him a look over there, but that doesn’t mean he is going to stay there.”
Nichushkin, 18, will skate alongside Shawn Horcoff and Erik Cole, and the hope is tthose veteran presences will spark Nichushkin’s offense. Ruff said the Russian winger, who only had one shot on goal in four games, was starting to search for offensive chances, which led to him losing his focus.
“I know he’s frustrated,” Ruff said of Nichushkin. “Like any young player, he wants to score and he wants points, and I think all of that will come if the right things happen.”
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)