Oct 17, 2013, 6:58 PM EDT
Valeri Nichushkin is getting another kick at the can — albeit from a different side of the can.
Nichushkin, Dallas’ first round pick (10th overall) at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, will be back in the lineup tonight when the Stars take on San Jose, but he’ll be at left wing after playing on the right to open the season.
“It’s just a look we are going to try,” head coach Lindy Ruff told the Stars website. “He’s played four games at right wing and he’s got one shot on net.
“We’re going to give him a look over there, but that doesn’t mean he is going to stay there.”
Nichushkin, 18, will skate alongside Shawn Horcoff and Erik Cole, and the hope is tthose veteran presences will spark Nichushkin’s offense. Ruff said the Russian winger, who only had one shot on goal in four games, was starting to search for offensive chances, which led to him losing his focus.
“I know he’s frustrated,” Ruff said of Nichushkin. “Like any young player, he wants to score and he wants points, and I think all of that will come if the right things happen.”
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 0
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 7
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)