Oct 17, 2013, 1:26 PM EDT
Da Costa, 24, signed with Ottawa in 2011 after two standout seasons with Merrimack College and proceeded to appear in 39 games with the Sens, scoring four goals and three assists.
He re-upped with Ottawa on a one-year contract in August.
Despite inking a new deal, Da Costa was a bit player for the Sens this year, suiting up for just four games while averaging 11:27 TOI per game.
His most memorable moment in an Ottawa uniform? Probably being on the receiving end of this Dion Phaneuf hit in 2011:
Waiving Da Costa could signal that Ottawa’s ready to bring up Mika Zibanejad from AHL Binghamton, after he was surprisingly dropped from the Sens’ 23-man roster following training camp.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 15
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 14
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5