Oct 17, 2013, 3:29 PM EDT
One of the most startling stats from this young season comes out of Anaheim, where the Ducks are a ghastly 1-for-23 on the power play this season — a league-worst 4.4 percent.
Teemu Selanne, the club’s elder statesman, summed up the struggles succinctly.
“Power killers,” Selanne said, as per the L.A. Times. “It’s not pretty to watch. There’s a lot of work to do.”
Anaheim’s lone PPG came in its second game of the season, a 4-3 OT win over Minnesota. Since then, the Ducks have gone 0-4 (vs. Winnipeg), 0-6 twice (vs. the Rangers and Sens) and 0-2 in Wednesday’s 3-2 win over Calgary.
The Ducks’ anemic power play has largely been masked because they’re on fire — winning five straight after a 6-1 loss to Colorado to start the year — and it’s assumed that, with all their offensive firepower, things will turn around.
It’s also been noted the Ducks aren’t suffering from a lack of opportunities.
Anaheim fired 16 shots on goal on its six power play chances against Ottawa on Sunday, and that came three days after firing 11 shots on six PPs against the Rangers.
Things didn’t go as well against Calgary (Anaheim had as many shots on the power play — four — as it did shorthanded), and the Ducks did blow a full five-minute man advantage after Tim Jackman was tossed for butt-ending Sami Vatanen.
Head coach Bruce Boudreau acknowledged things didn’t look pretty, especially on the PP, but was grateful to escape with a victory.
“I didn’t think we had much flow at all,” he told the Ducks website. “We won, and we’re grateful we won.”
Mar 29, 2015, 1:40 AM EDT
Vancouver leads L.A. by three points in the Pacific Division.
Mar 29, 2015, 1:05 AM EDT
Vancouver creates breathing room in the Pacific Division.
Mar 28, 2015, 11:20 PM EDT
The Wild defeated the L.A. Kings 4-1.
Mar 28, 2015, 10:50 PM EDT
Max Pacioretty scored the winner.
Mar 28, 2015, 10:15 PM EDT
Toronto won for just the sixth time in 34 games.
Mar 28, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Collided with Cody Goloubef in the first period.
Mar 28, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
He allowed two goals on nine first period shots.
Mar 28, 2015, 8:55 PM EDT
Finished off a nice passing play by Jagr and Huberdeau.
Mar 28, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
Ottawa’s starter tested early.
Mar 28, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
The Pens defenseman will remain in hospital overnight.
Mar 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
He appeared in eight games with Columbus this season.
Mar 28, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
It’ll cost him $3,897.85.
Mar 28, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
Detroit moves five points up on Boston in the Atlantic with the win.
Mar 28, 2015, 4:38 PM EDT
Anaheim currently has the NHL’s best record as well.
Mar 28, 2015, 3:48 PM EDT
Big win for the B’s.
Mar 28, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
The West’s first ticket gets punched.
Mar 28, 2015, 2:59 PM EDT
There’s plenty of debate about it being dirty or clean.
Mar 28, 2015, 2:49 PM EDT
The only update so far is he’s “unlikely to return.”
Mar 28, 2015, 2:18 PM EDT
A positive trend on Saturday.
Mar 28, 2015, 1:46 PM EDT
Pittsburgh killed the penalty.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)