Oct 17, 2013, 3:29 PM EST
One of the most startling stats from this young season comes out of Anaheim, where the Ducks are a ghastly 1-for-23 on the power play this season — a league-worst 4.4 percent.
Teemu Selanne, the club’s elder statesman, summed up the struggles succinctly.
“Power killers,” Selanne said, as per the L.A. Times. “It’s not pretty to watch. There’s a lot of work to do.”
Anaheim’s lone PPG came in its second game of the season, a 4-3 OT win over Minnesota. Since then, the Ducks have gone 0-4 (vs. Winnipeg), 0-6 twice (vs. the Rangers and Sens) and 0-2 in Wednesday’s 3-2 win over Calgary.
The Ducks’ anemic power play has largely been masked because they’re on fire — winning five straight after a 6-1 loss to Colorado to start the year — and it’s assumed that, with all their offensive firepower, things will turn around.
It’s also been noted the Ducks aren’t suffering from a lack of opportunities.
Anaheim fired 16 shots on goal on its six power play chances against Ottawa on Sunday, and that came three days after firing 11 shots on six PPs against the Rangers.
Things didn’t go as well against Calgary (Anaheim had as many shots on the power play — four — as it did shorthanded), and the Ducks did blow a full five-minute man advantage after Tim Jackman was tossed for butt-ending Sami Vatanen.
Head coach Bruce Boudreau acknowledged things didn’t look pretty, especially on the PP, but was grateful to escape with a victory.
“I didn’t think we had much flow at all,” he told the Ducks website. “We won, and we’re grateful we won.”
Nov 26, 2014, 1:03 PM EST
The Blues are one of the few teams in the NHL with a surplus of quality centers.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:57 PM EST
Jordan Binnington on his way up to St. Louis.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:22 PM EST
What are the chances the Islanders, Leafs, Predators, Canucks, Flames and Jets can hang on?
Nov 26, 2014, 12:11 PM EST
Fall from grace for the former 30-goal scorer.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:42 AM EST
Out “a couple of weeks” with a lower-body injury.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:28 AM EST
Arizona forward forced the Avs d-man from the game.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
Dallas forward does have a history with the NHL’s player safety department.
Nov 26, 2014, 10:58 AM EST
To cheer, or boo? That’s the query.
Nov 26, 2014, 10:50 AM EST
Two teams headed down different paths?
Nov 26, 2014, 10:03 AM EST
He missed the last three games with an upper-body injury.
Nov 26, 2014, 9:16 AM EST
It’s a question that could decide a playoff spot or two.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:51 AM EST
Tough start to the season for the veteran defenseman.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:12 AM EST
Wednesday’s roundup of links.
Nov 26, 2014, 2:00 AM EST
Colorado has now won four of five.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:45 AM EST
Jackets and Oilers talking trade.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
The Avs’ defenseman left the game and did not return.
Nov 25, 2014, 11:25 PM EST
The Oilers’ forward has had his share of knee injuries.
Nov 25, 2014, 10:29 PM EST
Spent time in Vancouver as a player and a coach.
Nov 25, 2014, 9:54 PM EST
Will not return due to a lower body injury.
Nov 25, 2014, 9:18 PM EST
Extends point streak to five games.
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 4
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 4
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 7
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 9
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 10
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 21
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)