Oct 17, 2013, 3:29 PM EDT
One of the most startling stats from this young season comes out of Anaheim, where the Ducks are a ghastly 1-for-23 on the power play this season — a league-worst 4.4 percent.
Teemu Selanne, the club’s elder statesman, summed up the struggles succinctly.
“Power killers,” Selanne said, as per the L.A. Times. “It’s not pretty to watch. There’s a lot of work to do.”
Anaheim’s lone PPG came in its second game of the season, a 4-3 OT win over Minnesota. Since then, the Ducks have gone 0-4 (vs. Winnipeg), 0-6 twice (vs. the Rangers and Sens) and 0-2 in Wednesday’s 3-2 win over Calgary.
The Ducks’ anemic power play has largely been masked because they’re on fire — winning five straight after a 6-1 loss to Colorado to start the year — and it’s assumed that, with all their offensive firepower, things will turn around.
It’s also been noted the Ducks aren’t suffering from a lack of opportunities.
Anaheim fired 16 shots on goal on its six power play chances against Ottawa on Sunday, and that came three days after firing 11 shots on six PPs against the Rangers.
Things didn’t go as well against Calgary (Anaheim had as many shots on the power play — four — as it did shorthanded), and the Ducks did blow a full five-minute man advantage after Tim Jackman was tossed for butt-ending Sami Vatanen.
Head coach Bruce Boudreau acknowledged things didn’t look pretty, especially on the PP, but was grateful to escape with a victory.
“I didn’t think we had much flow at all,” he told the Ducks website. “We won, and we’re grateful we won.”
Oct 31, 2014, 12:02 AM EDT
Scores twice in 5-0 win.
Oct 30, 2014, 11:42 PM EDT
Returned for the third.
Oct 30, 2014, 11:26 PM EDT
Adds defensive depth.
Oct 30, 2014, 10:56 PM EDT
Allegedly endorsed a New York Islanders pay check to cover gambling debt
Oct 30, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
End an 0-18 skid.
Oct 30, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
The play was reviewed and was ruled a good goal.
Oct 30, 2014, 9:17 PM EDT
Collided with Alex Steen of the Blues.
Oct 30, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
Gets a lucky bounce off Zach Parise.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:48 PM EDT
Absent from tonight’s game against the Blackhawks.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Was slow to the bench, but remains in the game.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Recovering from a lower body injury.
Oct 30, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
Nice feed to Kunitz
Oct 30, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
Two big boys land some pretty good shots.
Oct 30, 2014, 7:07 PM EDT
Abdominal injury hits the center once again.
Oct 30, 2014, 6:28 PM EDT
Adds depth as Toronto travels to Columbus.
Oct 30, 2014, 5:24 PM EDT
“I don’t know too many people who jump into the league at 19 (years old) and are playing 22 minutes a night, it just doesn’t really happen.”
Oct 30, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Sophomore winger inching closer to a return.
Oct 30, 2014, 4:23 PM EDT
We debate — Buffalo or Carolina?
Oct 30, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
Played just 5:46 Tuesday in Calgary.
Oct 30, 2014, 3:18 PM EDT
All the news and notes from around the crease…
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 7
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 2
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 19
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 38
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)