Oct 17, 2013, 3:29 PM EST
One of the most startling stats from this young season comes out of Anaheim, where the Ducks are a ghastly 1-for-23 on the power play this season — a league-worst 4.4 percent.
Teemu Selanne, the club’s elder statesman, summed up the struggles succinctly.
“Power killers,” Selanne said, as per the L.A. Times. “It’s not pretty to watch. There’s a lot of work to do.”
Anaheim’s lone PPG came in its second game of the season, a 4-3 OT win over Minnesota. Since then, the Ducks have gone 0-4 (vs. Winnipeg), 0-6 twice (vs. the Rangers and Sens) and 0-2 in Wednesday’s 3-2 win over Calgary.
The Ducks’ anemic power play has largely been masked because they’re on fire — winning five straight after a 6-1 loss to Colorado to start the year — and it’s assumed that, with all their offensive firepower, things will turn around.
It’s also been noted the Ducks aren’t suffering from a lack of opportunities.
Anaheim fired 16 shots on goal on its six power play chances against Ottawa on Sunday, and that came three days after firing 11 shots on six PPs against the Rangers.
Things didn’t go as well against Calgary (Anaheim had as many shots on the power play — four — as it did shorthanded), and the Ducks did blow a full five-minute man advantage after Tim Jackman was tossed for butt-ending Sami Vatanen.
Head coach Bruce Boudreau acknowledged things didn’t look pretty, especially on the PP, but was grateful to escape with a victory.
“I didn’t think we had much flow at all,” he told the Ducks website. “We won, and we’re grateful we won.”
Dec 6, 2013, 7:55 PM EST
Worse yet, another high Tampa Bay draft pick delivered the blow.
Dec 6, 2013, 7:35 PM EST
According to Fox Sports Detroit.
Dec 6, 2013, 7:05 PM EST
Damaged defense in Dallas.
Dec 6, 2013, 6:31 PM EST
Meanwhile, Bryan Bickell might resume skating next week.
Dec 6, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
A roster shuffle is expected.
Dec 6, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane like where this is going.
Dec 6, 2013, 4:28 PM EST
In which we ask the question, does Team Canada need a player like Milan Lucic?
Dec 6, 2013, 3:37 PM EST
Tough break for the Swedish defenseman.
Dec 6, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
“I’m sure after a little while I won’t even notice it.”
Dec 6, 2013, 2:47 PM EST
Veteran defenseman enjoyed his best years in Colorado.
Dec 6, 2013, 2:36 PM EST
Boston blueliner was hurt vs. Montreal last night.
Dec 6, 2013, 2:18 PM EST
Was fired by the Flyers earlier this season.
Dec 6, 2013, 1:41 PM EST
Chicago gets Brandon Mashinter in return.
Dec 6, 2013, 1:37 PM EST
If he’s going to re-sign with the Sabres, he wants to see “actions” from management.
Dec 6, 2013, 1:33 PM EST
Incident saw the Boston defenseman stretchered off the ice Thursday.
Dec 6, 2013, 1:20 PM EST
Second veteran defenseman they’ve waived this season.
Dec 6, 2013, 1:03 PM EST
Vancouver hosts the Coyotes tonight and the Avs Sunday.
Dec 6, 2013, 12:57 PM EST
So. Many. Injuries.
Dec 6, 2013, 12:13 PM EST
“Felt like we could have had five,” said Joe Pavelski.
Dec 6, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
Won’t face Dallas on Saturday.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 8
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 17
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 46
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)