Oct 17, 2013, 3:29 PM EDT
One of the most startling stats from this young season comes out of Anaheim, where the Ducks are a ghastly 1-for-23 on the power play this season — a league-worst 4.4 percent.
Teemu Selanne, the club’s elder statesman, summed up the struggles succinctly.
“Power killers,” Selanne said, as per the L.A. Times. “It’s not pretty to watch. There’s a lot of work to do.”
Anaheim’s lone PPG came in its second game of the season, a 4-3 OT win over Minnesota. Since then, the Ducks have gone 0-4 (vs. Winnipeg), 0-6 twice (vs. the Rangers and Sens) and 0-2 in Wednesday’s 3-2 win over Calgary.
The Ducks’ anemic power play has largely been masked because they’re on fire — winning five straight after a 6-1 loss to Colorado to start the year — and it’s assumed that, with all their offensive firepower, things will turn around.
It’s also been noted the Ducks aren’t suffering from a lack of opportunities.
Anaheim fired 16 shots on goal on its six power play chances against Ottawa on Sunday, and that came three days after firing 11 shots on six PPs against the Rangers.
Things didn’t go as well against Calgary (Anaheim had as many shots on the power play — four — as it did shorthanded), and the Ducks did blow a full five-minute man advantage after Tim Jackman was tossed for butt-ending Sami Vatanen.
Head coach Bruce Boudreau acknowledged things didn’t look pretty, especially on the PP, but was grateful to escape with a victory.
“I didn’t think we had much flow at all,” he told the Ducks website. “We won, and we’re grateful we won.”
Apr 19, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
He’s missed six games with a right hand injury.
Apr 19, 2015, 9:55 AM EDT
Changes in the crease the theme of the day.
Apr 19, 2015, 2:51 AM EDT
It will be interesting to see what happens as this series heads to Winnipeg.
Apr 19, 2015, 1:40 AM EDT
Series shifts back to Winnipeg.
Apr 19, 2015, 12:41 AM EDT
Had a dominant performance in Game 2.
Apr 18, 2015, 11:56 PM EDT
Anaheim’s veteran forward received a minor penalty on the play.
Apr 18, 2015, 11:13 PM EDT
“I think I bring a really good winning attitude and I have a lot to offer offensively.”
Apr 18, 2015, 11:09 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby scored twice and that helps.
Apr 18, 2015, 10:20 PM EDT
Had one goal in 19 playoff games prior to Saturday.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:25 PM EDT
These teams combined for eight shots in the opening period.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:08 PM EDT
Craig MacTavish has some decisions to make, now that he’s won the Connor McDavid sweepstakes.
Apr 18, 2015, 8:39 PM EDT
St. Louis with the win.
Apr 18, 2015, 8:26 PM EDT
Edmonton wins the Connor McDavid sweeps.
Apr 18, 2015, 7:33 PM EDT
Can the Penguins and Jets even things up?
Apr 18, 2015, 7:01 PM EDT
Not wasting any time.
Apr 18, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
This series is all tied up at 1-1.
Apr 18, 2015, 6:06 PM EDT
Mrazek pulled after two periods.
Apr 18, 2015, 5:44 PM EDT
Deryk Engelland’s game misconduct for instigating was rescinded.
Apr 18, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Enter Jimmy Howard.
Apr 18, 2015, 4:23 PM EDT
He has his first two of these playoffs.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 6
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 54
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 55
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 162
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 30
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (164)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)