Oct 17, 2013, 6:23 PM EDT
With six wins in six games, the Colorado Avalanche are flying high to start the 2013-14 campaign.
But their head coach wants them to keep it in perspective.
That’s what Patrick Roy said prior to Thursday’s big tilt against Detroit, as the Avs look to extend their winning streak while Roy looks to surpass his former coach, Mario Tremblay, for the NHL record for wins to begin a coaching career.
“I’m saying to the players every day, let’s stay humble,” Roy said, as per NHL.com. “We want them to be humble, we want them to take it one day at a time.”
The talk might be about humility, but there’s no ignoring how big a win against the Wings would be. The irony of potentially passing Tremblay is not lost on Roy, or his players.
Tremblay set the coaching record — starting his career in Montreal a perfect 6-0-0 — at the beginning of the 1995-96 campaign. Later that season, Roy said he’d never play another game for the Canadiens in the midst of an 11-1 defeat to the Red Wings.
Four days after saying it, Roy’s prediction held true — he was shipped to Colorado, where he’d go on to win two Stanley Cups. Now, he’s back with the Avs, leading the team to one of the best starts in franchise history.
The Avalanche players know all the history on the line, and are keen to get their head coach the record.
“It’d be great,” Matt Duchene said of Roy matching the mark. “He’d have that record over Tremblay, which is pretty funny, very ironic.
“It’d be great to get it done for him. For ourselves too. It’d be great to go to 7-0.”
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 3
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 15
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 6
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39