Oct 17, 2013, 6:23 PM EDT
With six wins in six games, the Colorado Avalanche are flying high to start the 2013-14 campaign.
But their head coach wants them to keep it in perspective.
That’s what Patrick Roy said prior to Thursday’s big tilt against Detroit, as the Avs look to extend their winning streak while Roy looks to surpass his former coach, Mario Tremblay, for the NHL record for wins to begin a coaching career.
“I’m saying to the players every day, let’s stay humble,” Roy said, as per NHL.com. “We want them to be humble, we want them to take it one day at a time.”
The talk might be about humility, but there’s no ignoring how big a win against the Wings would be. The irony of potentially passing Tremblay is not lost on Roy, or his players.
Tremblay set the coaching record — starting his career in Montreal a perfect 6-0-0 — at the beginning of the 1995-96 campaign. Later that season, Roy said he’d never play another game for the Canadiens in the midst of an 11-1 defeat to the Red Wings.
Four days after saying it, Roy’s prediction held true — he was shipped to Colorado, where he’d go on to win two Stanley Cups. Now, he’s back with the Avs, leading the team to one of the best starts in franchise history.
The Avalanche players know all the history on the line, and are keen to get their head coach the record.
“It’d be great,” Matt Duchene said of Roy matching the mark. “He’d have that record over Tremblay, which is pretty funny, very ironic.
“It’d be great to get it done for him. For ourselves too. It’d be great to go to 7-0.”
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 9
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 14
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 30
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 42
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 45
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)