Oct 17, 2013, 6:23 PM EDT
With six wins in six games, the Colorado Avalanche are flying high to start the 2013-14 campaign.
But their head coach wants them to keep it in perspective.
That’s what Patrick Roy said prior to Thursday’s big tilt against Detroit, as the Avs look to extend their winning streak while Roy looks to surpass his former coach, Mario Tremblay, for the NHL record for wins to begin a coaching career.
“I’m saying to the players every day, let’s stay humble,” Roy said, as per NHL.com. “We want them to be humble, we want them to take it one day at a time.”
The talk might be about humility, but there’s no ignoring how big a win against the Wings would be. The irony of potentially passing Tremblay is not lost on Roy, or his players.
Tremblay set the coaching record — starting his career in Montreal a perfect 6-0-0 — at the beginning of the 1995-96 campaign. Later that season, Roy said he’d never play another game for the Canadiens in the midst of an 11-1 defeat to the Red Wings.
Four days after saying it, Roy’s prediction held true — he was shipped to Colorado, where he’d go on to win two Stanley Cups. Now, he’s back with the Avs, leading the team to one of the best starts in franchise history.
The Avalanche players know all the history on the line, and are keen to get their head coach the record.
“It’d be great,” Matt Duchene said of Roy matching the mark. “He’d have that record over Tremblay, which is pretty funny, very ironic.
“It’d be great to get it done for him. For ourselves too. It’d be great to go to 7-0.”
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 2
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 34
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)