Oct 17, 2013, 10:55 AM EDT
Could the Sabres and Oilers be on the verge of a major trade?
Well, you didn’t hear that from us. But you did hear it from Buffalo News columnist Bucky Gleason:
And just so you know, there was talk Wednesday afternoon that the Sabres were working on a deal with Edmonton that would send Ryan Miller or Thomas Vanek and possibly both to the Oilers in a package that would bring Nail Yakupov and more to Buffalo. Whether it actually happens is another story. But as it stood Wednesday, the two sides had considered, or were considering, a major swap.
Miller is in the final year of his contract. The Oilers wouldn’t make the deal unless they could convince him to sign a contract extension. Edmonton is a great hockey town. The Oilers are on the rise. They could be a goaltender away from getting back into contention.
If you’re skeptical, don’t worry, you’re not alone. Especially about the potential for Miller to sign a contract extension with the Oilers when he could become an unrestricted free agent this summer. There’s always a knee-jerk negative reaction to the suggestion a star player — especially a non-Canadian one — would choose to live in Edmonton.
Oh, and FYI:
At the very least, it’s a fun rumor.
Miller, by the way, will get the start tonight when the Sabres host the Canucks.
- Flames sign Devin Setoguchi 3
- Under Pressure: Turris, MacArthur & Ryan 1
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 12
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33