Oct 17, 2013, 10:55 AM EDT
Could the Sabres and Oilers be on the verge of a major trade?
Well, you didn’t hear that from us. But you did hear it from Buffalo News columnist Bucky Gleason:
And just so you know, there was talk Wednesday afternoon that the Sabres were working on a deal with Edmonton that would send Ryan Miller or Thomas Vanek and possibly both to the Oilers in a package that would bring Nail Yakupov and more to Buffalo. Whether it actually happens is another story. But as it stood Wednesday, the two sides had considered, or were considering, a major swap.
Miller is in the final year of his contract. The Oilers wouldn’t make the deal unless they could convince him to sign a contract extension. Edmonton is a great hockey town. The Oilers are on the rise. They could be a goaltender away from getting back into contention.
If you’re skeptical, don’t worry, you’re not alone. Especially about the potential for Miller to sign a contract extension with the Oilers when he could become an unrestricted free agent this summer. There’s always a knee-jerk negative reaction to the suggestion a star player — especially a non-Canadian one — would choose to live in Edmonton.
Oh, and FYI:
At the very least, it’s a fun rumor.
Miller, by the way, will get the start tonight when the Sabres host the Canucks.
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 5
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 9
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2