Oct 17, 2013, 10:55 AM EST
Could the Sabres and Oilers be on the verge of a major trade?
Well, you didn’t hear that from us. But you did hear it from Buffalo News columnist Bucky Gleason:
And just so you know, there was talk Wednesday afternoon that the Sabres were working on a deal with Edmonton that would send Ryan Miller or Thomas Vanek and possibly both to the Oilers in a package that would bring Nail Yakupov and more to Buffalo. Whether it actually happens is another story. But as it stood Wednesday, the two sides had considered, or were considering, a major swap.
Miller is in the final year of his contract. The Oilers wouldn’t make the deal unless they could convince him to sign a contract extension. Edmonton is a great hockey town. The Oilers are on the rise. They could be a goaltender away from getting back into contention.
If you’re skeptical, don’t worry, you’re not alone. Especially about the potential for Miller to sign a contract extension with the Oilers when he could become an unrestricted free agent this summer. There’s always a knee-jerk negative reaction to the suggestion a star player — especially a non-Canadian one — would choose to live in Edmonton.
Oh, and FYI:
At the very least, it’s a fun rumor.
Miller, by the way, will get the start tonight when the Sabres host the Canucks.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 0
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 2
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 0
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 39
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8