Oct 17, 2013, 7:31 PM EST
Toronto’s goalie saga took another dramatic turn on Thursday as James Reimer left his start against Carolina just 32 seconds in following a collision with Josh Levio.
Reimer, 25, was able to skate off under his own power, but left the contest and has yet to return. Given his history with concussions — he missed 18 games with one during the 2011-12 campaign — it’s likely the Leafs were taking a cautious approach.
Here’s what occurred, as per the Canadian Press:
Reimer was trying to get to the puck at the side of the net and didn’t see Leivo, who could not avoid hitting him.
Reimer, who has had concussion problems in the past, was tended to by the team trainer as he remained on his knees for some time before skating slowly to the bench. He went straight to the dressing room.
Reimer finished with one save on one shot, and was replaced by Jonathan Bernier. It marks Bernier’s first action since allowing five goals in a 6-5 win over Edmonton on Saturday.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 14
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 28
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 5
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 67
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 64
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 32
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 53
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)