Oct 17, 2013, 7:31 PM EST
Toronto’s goalie saga took another dramatic turn on Thursday as James Reimer left his start against Carolina just 32 seconds in following a collision with Josh Levio.
Reimer, 25, was able to skate off under his own power, but left the contest and has yet to return. Given his history with concussions — he missed 18 games with one during the 2011-12 campaign — it’s likely the Leafs were taking a cautious approach.
Here’s what occurred, as per the Canadian Press:
Reimer was trying to get to the puck at the side of the net and didn’t see Leivo, who could not avoid hitting him.
Reimer, who has had concussion problems in the past, was tended to by the team trainer as he remained on his knees for some time before skating slowly to the bench. He went straight to the dressing room.
Reimer finished with one save on one shot, and was replaced by Jonathan Bernier. It marks Bernier’s first action since allowing five goals in a 6-5 win over Edmonton on Saturday.
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 0
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 21
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 27
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 63
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)