Oct 17, 2013, 7:31 PM EDT
Toronto’s goalie saga took another dramatic turn on Thursday as James Reimer left his start against Carolina just 32 seconds in following a collision with Josh Levio.
Reimer, 25, was able to skate off under his own power, but left the contest and has yet to return. Given his history with concussions — he missed 18 games with one during the 2011-12 campaign — it’s likely the Leafs were taking a cautious approach.
Here’s what occurred, as per the Canadian Press:
Reimer was trying to get to the puck at the side of the net and didn’t see Leivo, who could not avoid hitting him.
Reimer, who has had concussion problems in the past, was tended to by the team trainer as he remained on his knees for some time before skating slowly to the bench. He went straight to the dressing room.
Reimer finished with one save on one shot, and was replaced by Jonathan Bernier. It marks Bernier’s first action since allowing five goals in a 6-5 win over Edmonton on Saturday.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 0
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 9
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 36
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 55
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)