Oct 17, 2013, 7:31 PM EDT
Toronto’s goalie saga took another dramatic turn on Thursday as James Reimer left his start against Carolina just 32 seconds in following a collision with Josh Levio.
Reimer, 25, was able to skate off under his own power, but left the contest and has yet to return. Given his history with concussions — he missed 18 games with one during the 2011-12 campaign — it’s likely the Leafs were taking a cautious approach.
Here’s what occurred, as per the Canadian Press:
Reimer was trying to get to the puck at the side of the net and didn’t see Leivo, who could not avoid hitting him.
Reimer, who has had concussion problems in the past, was tended to by the team trainer as he remained on his knees for some time before skating slowly to the bench. He went straight to the dressing room.
Reimer finished with one save on one shot, and was replaced by Jonathan Bernier. It marks Bernier’s first action since allowing five goals in a 6-5 win over Edmonton on Saturday.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 9
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 9
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)