Oct 17, 2013, 7:31 PM EDT
Toronto’s goalie saga took another dramatic turn on Thursday as James Reimer left his start against Carolina just 32 seconds in following a collision with Josh Levio.
Reimer, 25, was able to skate off under his own power, but left the contest and has yet to return. Given his history with concussions — he missed 18 games with one during the 2011-12 campaign — it’s likely the Leafs were taking a cautious approach.
Here’s what occurred, as per the Canadian Press:
Reimer was trying to get to the puck at the side of the net and didn’t see Leivo, who could not avoid hitting him.
Reimer, who has had concussion problems in the past, was tended to by the team trainer as he remained on his knees for some time before skating slowly to the bench. He went straight to the dressing room.
Reimer finished with one save on one shot, and was replaced by Jonathan Bernier. It marks Bernier’s first action since allowing five goals in a 6-5 win over Edmonton on Saturday.
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 4
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 0
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 51
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)