Oct 17, 2013, 9:38 PM EDT
Detroit Red Wings defenseman Niklas Kronwall was stretchered off the ice in the first period of Thursday’s game against the Colorado Avalanche, while forward Cody McLeod could be looking at supplementary discipline from the league.
The incident occurred along the end boards, as Kronwall went to pivot with the puck and McLeod coming on the forecheck.
McLeod drove Kronwall from behind into the boards, and was given a major penalty for boarding and a game misconduct.
Kronwall lay motionless on the ice and was taken off on a stretcher, as per Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press.
From Ken Holland: RedWings D Niklas Kronwall "being evaluated."—
Helene St. James (@HeleneStJames) October 18, 2013
The Red Wings got immediate retribution on the scoreboard, as Johan Franzen scored late in the power play.
Updated: The Red Wings announced via Twitter that Kronwall has a concussion and cuts to the ear but is moving all his extremities and is receiving treatment.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 0
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 7
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 39
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 48
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (49)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)