Oct 17, 2013, 10:10 PM EST
The Dallas Eakins Era in Edmonton has yielded one regular season so far, following another loss Thursday.
The Oilers snagged a 2-1 lead after the first period, on a pair of Taylor Hall goals scored eight seconds apart (breaking Wayne Gretzky’s record for fastest two goals by a single Oilers player and you can watch the video here!) but couldn’t get much going after that in a 3-2 loss to the New York Islanders.
That’s five straight losses for the Oilers. Or, a grander scale, one win in eight games.
“I knew this renovation was going to be messy. I didn’t think it would be this messy,” said head coach Dallas Eakins, as per Gene Principe of Sportsnet.
If there was one modicum of optimism to come from the defeat, it was the improved play of goaltender Devan Dubnyk, who has struggled so far in the season but made 37 saves in a losing cause against the Islanders.
However, in five games, Dubnyk has yet to collect his first win of the season.
“This is where (Dubnyk) takes over and starts playing like we know he can. It would have been nice to get a win for him,” said Hall, as per the Oilers Twitter account.
“A lot of guys were on their own page tonight. We can’t do that and expect to win.”
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 1
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 10
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 85
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 80
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 171
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (171)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (85)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (80)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (78)