Oct 17, 2013, 10:10 PM EDT
The Dallas Eakins Era in Edmonton has yielded one regular season so far, following another loss Thursday.
The Oilers snagged a 2-1 lead after the first period, on a pair of Taylor Hall goals scored eight seconds apart (breaking Wayne Gretzky’s record for fastest two goals by a single Oilers player and you can watch the video here!) but couldn’t get much going after that in a 3-2 loss to the New York Islanders.
That’s five straight losses for the Oilers. Or, a grander scale, one win in eight games.
“I knew this renovation was going to be messy. I didn’t think it would be this messy,” said head coach Dallas Eakins, as per Gene Principe of Sportsnet.
If there was one modicum of optimism to come from the defeat, it was the improved play of goaltender Devan Dubnyk, who has struggled so far in the season but made 37 saves in a losing cause against the Islanders.
However, in five games, Dubnyk has yet to collect his first win of the season.
“This is where (Dubnyk) takes over and starts playing like we know he can. It would have been nice to get a win for him,” said Hall, as per the Oilers Twitter account.
“A lot of guys were on their own page tonight. We can’t do that and expect to win.”
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 62
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)