Oct 17, 2013, 10:10 PM EDT
The Dallas Eakins Era in Edmonton has yielded one regular season so far, following another loss Thursday.
The Oilers snagged a 2-1 lead after the first period, on a pair of Taylor Hall goals scored eight seconds apart (breaking Wayne Gretzky’s record for fastest two goals by a single Oilers player and you can watch the video here!) but couldn’t get much going after that in a 3-2 loss to the New York Islanders.
That’s five straight losses for the Oilers. Or, a grander scale, one win in eight games.
“I knew this renovation was going to be messy. I didn’t think it would be this messy,” said head coach Dallas Eakins, as per Gene Principe of Sportsnet.
If there was one modicum of optimism to come from the defeat, it was the improved play of goaltender Devan Dubnyk, who has struggled so far in the season but made 37 saves in a losing cause against the Islanders.
However, in five games, Dubnyk has yet to collect his first win of the season.
“This is where (Dubnyk) takes over and starts playing like we know he can. It would have been nice to get a win for him,” said Hall, as per the Oilers Twitter account.
“A lot of guys were on their own page tonight. We can’t do that and expect to win.”
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 16
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)