Oct 17, 2013, 10:10 PM EDT
The Dallas Eakins Era in Edmonton has yielded one regular season so far, following another loss Thursday.
The Oilers snagged a 2-1 lead after the first period, on a pair of Taylor Hall goals scored eight seconds apart (breaking Wayne Gretzky’s record for fastest two goals by a single Oilers player and you can watch the video here!) but couldn’t get much going after that in a 3-2 loss to the New York Islanders.
That’s five straight losses for the Oilers. Or, a grander scale, one win in eight games.
“I knew this renovation was going to be messy. I didn’t think it would be this messy,” said head coach Dallas Eakins, as per Gene Principe of Sportsnet.
If there was one modicum of optimism to come from the defeat, it was the improved play of goaltender Devan Dubnyk, who has struggled so far in the season but made 37 saves in a losing cause against the Islanders.
However, in five games, Dubnyk has yet to collect his first win of the season.
“This is where (Dubnyk) takes over and starts playing like we know he can. It would have been nice to get a win for him,” said Hall, as per the Oilers Twitter account.
“A lot of guys were on their own page tonight. We can’t do that and expect to win.”
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 11
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)