Oct 17, 2013, 1:44 PM EDT
Randy Carlyle has shared a number of, ahem, interesting medical evaluations during his time as Toronto’s head coach.
His latest is no different.
In explaining what upper-body injury befell forward James van Riemsdyk — “back spasms” to the layperson — Carlyle offered up his own diagnosis.
“He got up the other morning, got to the rink, he had back spasms,” Carlyle explained, as per the Canadian Press. “That’s why it wasn’t a hockey-related injury. We all know that skaters get skaters back.
“It’s one of the things that hockey players have to deal with over the course of the season.”
Skaters gonna skate, skaters gonna get skaters back.
The injury will force van Riemsdyk to miss his second straight game on Thursday when the Carolina Hurricanes visit the ACC. The 24-year-old power forward is listed as day-to-day.
As for Carlyle, we’d be remiss without highlighting his other most famous medical theory — from an interview with Sportsnet this past April, on how concussions occur:
“I have a theory on concussions,” [Carlyle] said. “I think the reason there’s so much more of them — obviously the impact and the size of the equipment and the size of the player — but there’s another factor: everyone wears helmets, and under your skull when you have a helmet on, there’s a heat issue.
“Everyone sweats a lot more, the brain swells. The brain is closer to the skull. Think about it. Does it make sense? Common sense?” said Carlyle, who said he’d never talked to a doctor about his premise.
“I don’t know if it’s true, but that would be my theory. Heat expands and cold contracts. The brain is like a muscle, it’s pumping, it swells, it’s a lot closer to the outside of the skull.”
He never talked to a doctor about it? You don’t say.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)