Oct 17, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT
It promises to be an intense affair tonight at the United Center when Chicago takes on St. Louis for the second time in eight days.
Last Wednesday, on NBCSN’s Rivalry Night, the Blues scored in the final minute to beat the ‘Hawks 3-2, a loss Chicago head coach Joel Quenneville called “brutal” and “unacceptable.”
“You’ve got to get that game to overtime,” Quenneville lamented. “You take one (point) maybe two. You don’t get none.”
While the ‘Hawks will want to make amends for that defeat, St. Louis is searching for some atonement of its own.
The Blues lost their first game of the season in ugly fashion on Tuesday night, a 6-2 drubbing at the hands of San Jose that was marred by Maxim Lapierre‘s dangerous hit from behind on Sharks defenseman Dan Boyle. The incident seemed to unravel the Blues, as they allowed two goals on the subsequent power play and finished the game out-shot 39-27 (the most they’ve been out-shot all season.)
If there’s good news for the Blues, it’s that Brenden Morrow — shaken up on a boarding hit from Brent Burns on Tuesday — will be in the lineup to face Chicago. He’ll be joined up front by Magnus Paajarvi, who will make his Blues debut by replacing Lapierre in the lineup.
For Chicago, Brandon Pirri will get into the lineup and center the fourth line between Marcus Kruger and Brandon Bollig. Pirri, who led AHL Rockford in scoring last year, will draw in at the expense of Ben Smith.
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 0
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 29
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)