Oct 17, 2013, 1:26 AM EDT
Georges Laraque fought some of the National Hockey League’s toughest enforcers during his career, however he could soon be facing a different battle inside a courtroom.
Laraque, who played 695 NHL regular season games from 1997 to 2010, amassing 1,126 penalty minutes, confirmed to The Canadian Press that he is facing fraud charges.
Here is a snippet of the story from The Canadian Press, which was reported Wednesday evening.
Laraque says the criminal charges stem from a dispute with engineer Marc Filion, who co-founded the company with him in 2009.
A court date is set for November 19th.
Since retiring as a player following the 2009-2010 season, Laraque has been busy in both the business and political worlds.
This summer, it was reported that Laraque was running in a by-election for a seat in Canada’s House of Commons as a member of the Green Party.
Prior to that, he was named executive director of the CHL’s players association. Less than three full months later, he revealed his intentions to resign from the position.
In January, Laraque confirmed that his house had been raided by police as part of a fraud investigation.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)