Oct 17, 2013, 1:26 AM EST
Georges Laraque fought some of the National Hockey League’s toughest enforcers during his career, however he could soon be facing a different battle inside a courtroom.
Laraque, who played 695 NHL regular season games from 1997 to 2010, amassing 1,126 penalty minutes, confirmed to The Canadian Press that he is facing fraud charges.
Here is a snippet of the story from The Canadian Press, which was reported Wednesday evening.
Laraque says the criminal charges stem from a dispute with engineer Marc Filion, who co-founded the company with him in 2009.
A court date is set for November 19th.
Since retiring as a player following the 2009-2010 season, Laraque has been busy in both the business and political worlds.
This summer, it was reported that Laraque was running in a by-election for a seat in Canada’s House of Commons as a member of the Green Party.
Prior to that, he was named executive director of the CHL’s players association. Less than three full months later, he revealed his intentions to resign from the position.
In January, Laraque confirmed that his house had been raided by police as part of a fraud investigation.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 7
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 13
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 23
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 22
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)