Oct 17, 2013, 1:26 AM EDT
Georges Laraque fought some of the National Hockey League’s toughest enforcers during his career, however he could soon be facing a different battle inside a courtroom.
Laraque, who played 695 NHL regular season games from 1997 to 2010, amassing 1,126 penalty minutes, confirmed to The Canadian Press that he is facing fraud charges.
Here is a snippet of the story from The Canadian Press, which was reported Wednesday evening.
Laraque says the criminal charges stem from a dispute with engineer Marc Filion, who co-founded the company with him in 2009.
A court date is set for November 19th.
Since retiring as a player following the 2009-2010 season, Laraque has been busy in both the business and political worlds.
This summer, it was reported that Laraque was running in a by-election for a seat in Canada’s House of Commons as a member of the Green Party.
Prior to that, he was named executive director of the CHL’s players association. Less than three full months later, he revealed his intentions to resign from the position.
In January, Laraque confirmed that his house had been raided by police as part of a fraud investigation.
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 0
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 8
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 18
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 50
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)