Oct 17, 2013, 9:04 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers suffered a serious blow in their game against Pittsburgh on Thursday night, losing veteran defenseman Kimmo Timonen to a lower-body injury.
Timonen, 38, was hurt during the second period after playing 19 shifts for 13 minutes of ice time. It’s unclear exactly how he got hurt, what the injury is or how severe it might be.
The Finnish rearguard has been a workhorse for the Flyers this year, playing in all seven games while leading all defensemen with 21:43 TOI per game. Of the Flyers skaters, only Claude Giroux is averaging more time on ice.
One of the longest-tenured players on Philly’s roster, Timonen has been a rock on the blueline over the last six seasons. He’s never missed more than five games in a single campaign — playing all 82 in 2009-10 and 2010-11 — and had a pretty productive lockout-shortened campaign in 2013, leading all Flyers defensemen in scoring (29 points, t-6th among all NHL defensemen) while averaging nearly 22 minutes per night.
Timonen’s one-year, $6 million deal with the Flyers expires in July.
Mar 16, 2014, 4:41 PM EDT
He sustained the lower-body injury earlier this week.
Mar 16, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT
Pittsburgh just lost back-to-back contests to Philadelphia.
Mar 16, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
Wayne Simmonds had two goals and an assist to reach the 50-point milestone.
Mar 16, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
Robin Lehner will play between the pipes instead.
Mar 16, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
Jhonas Enroth started for Buffalo on Saturday.
Mar 16, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
He wasn’t having a bad game, but his teammates were.
Mar 16, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
Crosby and Malkin might get more playing time together as a result.
Mar 16, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
The game starts at 12:30 p.m. ET.
Mar 16, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Winnipeg is six points behind Dallas with 14 games to go.
Mar 16, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
He’s been a big part of Tampa Bay’s success this season.
Mar 16, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
He’ll rest instead.
Mar 16, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
The Red Wings will be in a very bad place if they lose this one.
Mar 16, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
Philadelphia got a big win over Pittsburgh on Saturday.
Mar 16, 2014, 1:53 AM EDT
The Battle of California.
Mar 16, 2014, 1:20 AM EDT
Columbus comes away with the win.
Mar 16, 2014, 12:27 AM EDT
It’s been a while.
Mar 15, 2014, 11:55 PM EDT
Mar 15, 2014, 11:10 PM EDT
Stick on the ice.
Mar 15, 2014, 10:38 PM EDT
Tied it up with less than a second left.
Mar 15, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Penguins GM, Ray Shero, was on hand as Philadelphia honored to his father.
- Help’s on the way: Letang, Bennett cleared for practices 2
- Penguins rally falls short as Flyers sweep weekend series 12
- NHL on NBCSN: Detroit pumped to face Chicago 4
- NHL on NBC: Penguins and Flyers resume rivalry as playoff race continues 7
- Discuss: Habs overcome three-goal deficit, beat Senators in overtime 16
- Canucks ready to face Luongo on Sunday 2
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 4
- East update: Red Wings eke out shootout win for key points 0
- Luongo continues to foil Schneider as Panthers damage Devils’ playoff hopes 3
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)